1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is taking up so much space?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Five, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Five

Five Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP sp3.
    Have a 37GB hard drive.
    It is showing that I only have 17.6GB Free.
    Why?
    Near as I can see Windows takes up 1.6 GB
    Programs take up 1.47 GB

I have cleaned up, deleted almost everything, as I am preparing to give this to my son.
    There is no music, no video, only 197 MB of photos.
    Over all less than 2 GB of anything else.(a generously conservative guess)

There should be at least some 30GB of free space.

I suspected that System Restore may be holding it. I read somewhere to turn it off and then to turn it on again.
    So I did that. It was off 2 days and since I shut it down at nite, it has been restarted 2 times, and still there are
    no changes. I did the Clean Up System Restore too.

So where is all they mystery data/files, and how do I view them and delete them?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Click Start > Run > type %temp%

Delete everything in that folder. If a file resists, leave it and delete the rest. That folder can accumulate quite a large number of files if never emptied.

3. schang626

schang626

ccleaner might help

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
  5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I usually use JDiskReport to analyze the hd space.

6. Five

Five Thread Starter

I did the %temp% removal. There were a lot of items, but none of them took up a massive amount of space. Still showing only 17.8 Free. Not much gained there.
    I'll try the others.
    And thanks for all the info.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Let us know whatever you find. [​IMG]

8. Five

Five Thread Starter

I downloaded and ran the Folder Tree Size program.
    Wow! If only I knew what all that stuff was.
    It shows some 15G.638B of Windows. which include,

6,307.MB Installer....Does all that really have to be there?
    3,765 MB Microsoft NET whatever that is.
    1,239.2 MB System 32, I think I do need that.

906.3MB $hf_mig$ whatever that is.
    546.5 MB Software Distribution

There are all the Microsoft up date KB items and an ($ symbol) uninstall for them taking up a lot of MB
    There is a leftover 190MB of Windows98 I guess I can delete that.
    There was also some leftover Symantic..which is otherwise long gone..I did delete it.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This will reclaim some hard drive space:

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, click Properties, move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - System Restore(tab), move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Restart your computer afterwards.

-------------------------------------------------------------

10. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

How about deleting old Ws update "uninstall files" and the associated files that I understand lurk around.

Informed posters: Please post the best way to handle this.

{redoak}

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

1. 6 GiB for the Windows\Installer folder is a bit high. 500-1000 MiB would be more typical, depends on how much software you have installed.
      Follow these steps to remove any orphan entries:
      Orphaned Installer Files
    2. I just checked three XP systems, the Windows\Microsoft.NET folder is only 223 MiB, this is with all versions from 1.0 through 3.5 SP1 installed. Don't know why yours is so large. We need to narrow down just which folder is using up all the space.
      Under Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework should be the folders for each version that is installed:
      v1.0.3705
      v1.1.4322
      v2.0.50727
      v3.0
      v3.5

Check which one(s) of them is(are) using the majority of the space. Inside each of those will be a Temporary ASP.NET Files folder. If you are running (or ever have run) an ASP.Net Web-Server this is where it stores temporary files. Any files in here can be deleted, but if you are running an ASP.Net Web-Server they will eventually be recreated.
    3. System32 ranges from 1.05 to 1.35 GiB, so yours sounds about right.
    4. The $hf_mig$ folder has files needed to insure future updates don't cause version conflicts. I've seen sizes from 500-1000 MiB. If the drive is formatted NTFS you can compress this folder and reduce the size by about 20-40%. It's only accessed when Windows Updates are installed.
      To Compress the folder
      • Right click it, then click Properties
      • Click the Advanced button on the General tab
      • Check the box for Compress contents to save disk space
      • Click OK
      • Click OK
      • You'll be prompted to confirm. Choose Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files.
      • Click OK
        This could take quite a while.
    5. The folders in Windows with names starting with $NtUninstallKB or $NtServicePackUninstall contain the files that were replaced by that particular update. You can delete these, but would not be able to uninstall that particular update. Windows usually compresses these folders if on an NTFS drive, but if you put them into a zipped folder, you can save another 30-40%. There will also be a bunch of log files with the same KB number (KB??????.log) that can be deleted or zipped as well.
    6. The Software Distribution folder is where Windows Updates are downloaded, and installed from. If you've ever hidden an update, it's downloaded files will still be in there. If an update failed for some reason, it may have been downloaded again, and the previous failed copy may still be in the Download folder.

You can use the following batch file to clean out the Download folder. It will rename it to Download.old, which you can delete after a few days if no problems arise.

If your system is set to automatically download updates, and you have any hidden, like IE8, it might be downloaded again, so I'd recommend changing the settings to Notify first, then clean out the folder, then wait a week or two to see if any hidden updates are offered again. If they are, you can hide them again, then set it back to your previous setting.

Right click My Computer, click Properties
      Click the Advanced Updates tab
      Select Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
      Click OK

Copy the text in the following code block into Notepad.
      Save it on the desktop as WUCleanup.cmd. Be sure to change the Save as Type: box to All Files when saving.
      Code:
      [plain]net stop wuauserv
      cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
      ren Download Download.old
      net start wuauserv[/plain]
      Double click the file to run it. It will rename the Windows\Software Distribution\Downloads folder to Windows\Software Distribution\Downloads.old. Windows will recreate a new empty folder. After a few days, you can delete the Downloads.old folder

12. Five

Five Thread Starter

I empty the recycle bin almost everyday. Also delete the cookies.
    The system restore is at 2GB

Outcaste, I don't have an advanced button on that $hf_mig$ file.
    Under general, it only has the "read only", "hidden" & "archive" check boxes.
    There is a tab for "sharing", and "customize" which gives me and option as to what the folder looks like.

Aha, I do have an update that wouldn't install, and it has been a few years. So I have it in there a few thousand times maybe. I'll get that number and maybe we can get it to install, or just forget it.

I will take a good look at those other items; maybe tomorrow. It's getting late here.
    Printing them out so I don't have to go back & forth.

Yes, I was wondering if I could delete the Windows update "uninstall" items.
    Is there any reason that I would want to uninstall the the updates?

Redoak, your are 80 years old?
    Wow, hey we have been around a long time haven't we.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It doesn't matter if you empty the Recycle Bin almost every day. There's no reason to have 10% of the hard drive allocated for its use.

700 - 800 MB is sufficient hard drive space for System Restore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The Advanced button will only be present if the drive is formatted with the NTFS file system instead of FAT32. If you right click on the C: drive then click Properties, at the top it will show the File System. Yours is most likely FAT32 which doesn't have the compression option.

15. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Most likely because they upgraded from Windows 98.
    (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice