What is the Best Antivirus and Firewall software?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JMT74

I am about to install a new hard drive and I have to install drivers and applications also. I want to know what people think are the best Antivirus and Firewall protection out there?

well i done a fair bit off research on this matter and came up with.
antivirus Nod32 you can get a 30 day trail online
outpost firewall also a 30 day trail online
if you want free then I'd have to say AVG free and zonealarm is the way to go

JMT74

Do you know if Antivirus Nod32 and Outpost Firewall are available in stores? Also would you run both of these at the same time?

colmaca said:
well i done a fair bit off research on this matter and came up with.
antivirus Nod32 you can get a 30 day trail online
outpost firewall also a 30 day trail online
if you want free then I'd have to say AVG free and zonealarm is the way to go

i bought nod32 online 2 years at there australian site here's there site.
http://www.eset.com/home/home.htm

i have not bought outpost firewall yet,i'm still trying it out.so far so good i'm thinking i'll buy it.might look in shop for it but will buy online if i have too.

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

both have a local australian sites so i got nod32 from there,i'll look in shop for firewall but will be ok to get on there aussie site

and yes you run them both at the same time ones a anti-virus and the other is a firewall,with some spyware stuff included

valis

for me, because I don't like paying for things, I use AVG for antivirus, ZoneAlarm for firewall (canNOT beat that.....according to the tests at grc.com, my pc doesn't even exist on the internet), then for antispyware adaware, spybot s & d, ewido, and a monthly HJT scan.

works for me, and the only expenditure is this $800 keyboard.

I use Antivir (the free version) and Zonealarm Antispyware. But I would also recommend that if you didn't want to pay for the firewall that you check you Kerio Personal Firewall, it provides good protection (owned by Sunbelt now).

JMT74

I previously used Norton Antivirus. I guess none of u think much of it? LOL

AVG

Sygate

SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
Spybot
Ewido (manual)
Ad-Aware (manual)
WinPatrol (manual)

Light on system resources ...all on a PIII 500

Symantec (Norton) has a reputation as being a resource hog, somewhat incompetent and difficult to remove. Reportedly, it embeds deeply.

valis

used it, got hosed by a trojan virus that got through, but even before that I was ready for something a little less heavy on resources. Back in the day, it was an excellent antivirus program. Now it tries to do everything, and as a result, gets EVERYWHERE

valis

dunno how that happened....didn't mean to end the post that quickly. Anyhow, get everywhere in your pc, and removing it sometimes takes a chainsaw. Plus I was less than enamoured with the tech support.

Having said that, there are still hundred of thousands of people out there who use it and are happy with it, so this is just one person's opinion. I like AVG, it's free, it's reliable, and so far, it hasn't let anything through. The reason I switched? Norton let something through that hosed my system 2 weeks before the subscription was up. Talk about karmic timing.

v

If you notice most of the computers that have malware problems in the Security forum, they are almost always using Norton Antivirus. I really don't care for Norton, but antivirus software is antivirus software. As long as the user is using something I don't really care. But I would recommend AVG or Antivir anyday.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online