1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Is The Best Browser Around? Slimbrowser Or Firefox? Another?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by coolmar2001, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolmar2001

coolmar2001 Thread Starter

Slimbrowser offers more features and versatility than Firefox. It´s better.

Although Slimbrowser sometimes do not load at 100% some web pages. Firefox is better in that point and a little bit faster (don´t get me wrong, Slimbrowser do a great work too). I send a picture with my own customization of Slimbrowser (the default interface sucks! Don’t get a bad impression of this browser just for its first appearance).

These are my reasons why Slimbroser beats Firefox (I´ve never tried Opera or Netscape):

You can hide pages (great when you are at work!) and manage them effectively in Hidden Windows.

It restores all the Web pages you were visiting (if the PC crashed or you accidentally close the browser) just by clicking only one button, instead of picking them one by one.

Alias definition. Ex: Press “y” or “yh” in the address bar, go directly to Yahoo. Really useful!

Full Password management control (in a better way than firefox).
    (just click in any of the entries in Autologin (left panel) and go directly to your inbox or your own session of Tech Support Guy (signing you with your user and pw)).

You can add your search engine of your preferences in the full customizable Search Bar. Ex: says you visit www.download.com frequently. You capture the box in that page (Tools\Extraxt Search Engine) and put it into the Search Bar for quickest access. This is an awesome feature at work if you have to search frequently the company intranet or your company yellow pages url.

You can group many Web Pages for easier access. Just save your group and clic on it! “Save all Open Web Pages as a Group” button also present.

Many others funcions:

-You can save all your Groups, Password and Search Engine Files to another PC. You can even replicate the same configuration (the same interface buttons, skin, everything you´d already set) just copying C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\SlimBrowser into the other PC. You don’t have to set anything more.

-A lot of skins and plug-ins (not all of them free) to personalize your browser.
    -A Clean Trace functions to delete all the traces or just preselected items.
    Close All\Close all but current\Close all blank pages and failed sites. Also there is a button to undo “Last Close”, “Last Close All” to restore the tabs.
    -You can export your Favorites into a one single html page.
    -Full translation functions (I did not tested them exhaustively).
    -A decent ScripPad to edit the html code.

Some cons include:
    Lacks a search option in the Favorites and History.
    Although it lacks a “Hide All Windows or Tabs” button.

I´ve been using this great software for surfing in the Web for long ago (I think Firefox beta didn´t exist at the time!!!). Every version seems to make it better and better. It makes one a very loyal user. I wonder which was the first multiple tab browser. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The drawback to slimbrowser is that it's IE based. I use slimbrowser myself, but I also keep a copy of firefox installed.

The practice of keeping multiple browsers installed means that if one get's gunked up with spyware or the like and can't access the net, normally the second browser can.

I like the mouse gestures in Slimbrowser. Just hold the right button and click the left to go forward. Hold the left button and click the right to go back. "Doesn't work with the cordless mouse on this machine though"

3. lister

lister

You can't really say it has more features than Firefox - yes, the default install - but the whole point of Firefox is that it is meant to be customizable. Extensions, of which there are hundreds (inc all the features you mentioned Slimbrowser having), can easily add new features which other browsers do and many they don't.

Plus slimbrowser is IE based, therefore has all IEs vulnerabilities.

Finally, it's 100% free (inc plugins, themes etc)!

4. rhorne4

rhorne4

Firefox is hands down a better browser.

5. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

Firefox is easily the best. No competition.

6. Alterleo

Alterleo

I'm putting my vote in for Firefox as well. It's a godsend.

7. Soiled

Soiled

i love firefox, load speeds are much higher, and i love all the themes and them tabs are nice... also organizing the favorites/bookmarks is way easier with that explorer style layout they have.

mind you i havent tryed slimbrowser, but aslong as its not IE your probably gonna be just fine.

:D

8. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

I use Maxthon.
    http://www.maxthon.com/

I tested both Firefow and Maxthon, I prefered Maxthon.
    And I don't see why being IE based is a downside...

9. rhorne4

rhorne4

One reason is because it contains alot of the same problems that are in internet explorer.

10. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

firefox; and you can dl google's tool bar. VERY nice. and you can put firefox to show tabs, which is nice.
    Hey coolmar, whast with the black boxes on your searches? :) lol

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice