1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the best disk defragmenter? (don't say the one included with Windows 98 SE)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mojave, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mojave

mojave Thread Starter

Bad experience at the end of August, running the Windows 98 SE Disk Defragmenter corrupted my hard disk. It was a bad day. Thanks again Sequal7 and mhughes, you put me on the right track when I asked for help in my thread "I defragmented, now can't open most programs". (http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=160107)

So, time to defragment again. My level of technical knowledge is, I know it's really important to defragment, but I'm afraid to use the defragmenter included with Windows 98 SE and I don't know what else is out there. Can anyone recommend a reliable defragmenting program that does not corrupt one's hard disk?

2. TheJoost

TheJoost

'Diskeeper Lite' by Executive Software. Fast, efficient, and free!

3. brindle

brindle

4. KurtVagner

KurtVagner

I use Win98SE and i get NO problems with it....no luck huh :)

5. brindle

brindle

I never had any problems with 98se defrag either as long as I cleaned everything up first and used disk clean up and scandisk first. Also shut down everything etc.

Switched to winme defrag because it's so much faster.

6. KurtVagner

KurtVagner

aye me 2 it is alot faster....btw brindle thx for giving me link to d/l winme defrag :) newais ima go sleep Nite all!

7. mojave

mojave Thread Starter

Most of these answers are from rainy places where I have family. Thanks guys, and thanks Joost, I've seen good reviews of Diskeeper but did not know there was a free version. I'll look into that.

8. EvileYe

EvileYe

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice