What is the best free antivirus

DakBai

Dak
Everyone has their own opinion on which anti-virus to use. I personally use Windows Defender on Win10, because it's built-in, and doesn't cost anything extra to use. But if you want to invest some money into an antivirus, there are some other options out there, and I used to use IoBit Malware Fighter. If you look online, there are alot of lists of 'Best AntiVirus' or 'Top 10 AntiVirus' or Whatever and they will list the pros and cons of each antivirus, and their prices for pro plans and if they have a trial or not, and some other things. But it really is personal preference to what anti-virus you use.

For instance, I like Kaspersky Small Office because among the many features, it has Vulnerability Scanning and Program Update, which are important and many people don't have time or don't do these tasks.

Johnny b

John
Looks like the thread starter hasn't come back for advice :cool:

Although I don't use MS Windows for Internet connectivity any more, I still use Win 7 off-line in a 'stand-alone' situation.
With MSE, there was less worry about a false positive removing a system file.
And from reviews, it functioned well as an anti-virus.
I still use it for that same reason.
IMO, MSE integrates well into the OS because they are both MS products.

But as I mentioned earlier, I also use other 'over lapping' security products.

However, if 'you' like touring the Internet with out regard for safe computing, bad luck will likely find you no matter what anti-virus is used ;)

Firehammer

carsten
Hi, My first post in this Forum, but I would recommend Bitdefender Free.
Though I believe that an AV is one of the software you have to pay, unless you are on Windows 10 and can choose to use Windows Defender which are built-in, some believe it is the best, because it does not slow your computer down.:unsure:

Follow AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, and other sites. For video evidence, try this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePCSecurity

You will need the best because Win 7 is barely updated. You can probably install a free version of one of them and see which one has the least performance impact on the system.

In general, AVs are intrusive when it comes to privacy, and one article states that there are a few that don't, but they either don't do very well in terms of protection or are not free.

The costs are usually not low for those that provide basic protection (something like $15 a year) but it goes up if you want more (like firewalls, features that deal with ransomware, etc.) and you'll likely need more because malware has become more sophisticated. The cost is higher (twice to five times more) even for any discount for the first year, and even with slight discounts for family packs. From what I gathered, it's like buying a new hard drive with lots of storage every one to three years to protect devices for one household.

In terms of performance, results vary across different testing groups, and the ones on top are usually the same, although some major changes take place every few years. But you might also consider testers who show results from recorded tests and answer questions from viewers. For example,

https://www.thepcsecuritychannel.com/tests

If you don't have time to watch the videos, then you can see the results of tests in the graph shown. There are also videos that look at performance (e.g., programs like NovaBench are run several times for systems with and without an AV), so that might be a gauge to determine what to choose besides installing each AV and seeing what appears to slow down the system.

Given that, try the free versions of the top performers and see which ones don't slow down the system. Barring any nagware that appears (i.e., popup notifications for upgrades that can't be turned off), you will likely choose one that's best for you, then uninstall and try another a year or two later if its performance goes down.

One more thing: some argue that a firewall will also be important, as illustrated here:

but free ones are sometimes not compatible with various AVs, and paid versions of AVs that come with them are costlier.

Johnny b

John

One more thing: some argue that a firewall will also be important, as illustrated here:

The title of that video seems questionable to me.

It's always better to have a more durable and efficient firewall.
A member here, ZX10guy, is knowledgeable on security and he's commented in the past that a hardware firewall is more secure than a software firewall. But that is an added expense most of us regular users don't need.

It should be noted the testing done by The PC Security Channel is typically done with protection turned off so malicious script can be introduced.

From this video by PC Security:

You'll find this statement:
"The way I usually run these is I turn the product off for a second just so I can grab my malware. Don't worry this is only temporary. I will actually re-enable it before we execute anything. It's just to give me a window of time to be able to grab my malware without it interfering."
'The product' obviously being security. lol!

( hat tip to Bleeping Computer
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...-security-channel-malware-tests/#entry4912255 )

The test computer in question was compromised and the Windows firewall had nothing to do with that act.
Even if a firewall from another source had stopped malware from 'calling out', the computer is still compromised.

dotty999

Dotty
If you're going for free antivirus can try AVAST but if you're windows user, can use its own builtin defender which is pretty much effective.Bitdefender and Kaspersky are leading antivirus software & most preferable.
I tried to download Avast but it would appear Defender wont allow me to do so!

The title of that video seems questionable to me.

It's always better to have a more durable and efficient firewall.
A member here, ZX10guy, is knowledgeable on security and he's commented in the past that a hardware firewall is more secure than a software firewall. But that is an added expense most of us regular users don't need.

It should be noted the testing done by The PC Security Channel is typically done with protection turned off so malicious script can be introduced.

From this video by PC Security:

You'll find this statement:

'The product' obviously being security. lol!

( hat tip to Bleeping Computer
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...-security-channel-malware-tests/#entry4912255 )

The test computer in question was compromised and the Windows firewall had nothing to do with that act.
Even if a firewall from another source had stopped malware from 'calling out', the computer is still compromised.
The Windows firewall relies on input from users for default-deny, and not all the time. I have installed software with auto updates disabled and they still made outbound calls which the firewall allowed, and which I detected only through pi-hole.

Given that, one can only select applications to add manually, or rely on learning mode if users are novices and can't tell which to allow and which to deny.

For the second test, the purpose is to look at the sandboxing abilities of Defender. That means the malware should be allowed to run, and then let the AV isolate them.

Johnny b

John
The Windows firewall relies on input from users for default-deny, and not all the time. I have installed software with auto updates disabled and they still made outbound calls which the firewall allowed, and which I detected only through pi-hole.

Given that, one can only select applications to add manually, or rely on learning mode if users are novices and can't tell which to allow and which to deny.

For the second test, the purpose is to look at the sandboxing abilities of Defender. That means the malware should be allowed to run, and then let the AV isolate them.

Are you advocating that it's dangerous to use a Windows firewall and that it shouldn't be used, as that video of yours suggested.?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online