1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the best Free program for wiping free disk space, please?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by joeAgain------, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

I've tried ERASER, but find it cumbersome to setup and use.

Is there a better free one out there, please?

2. Sponsor

3. joeAgain------

have I posted this in the wrong forum?

should it maybe in the "Other Software" forum??

Thanks,
    jA----

4. joeAgain------

Are there really no good ones....or again, am I in the wrong forum?

5. valis

valis Moderator

do you mean a disk eraser, or just an application that cleans up the 'free' space on your hd while leaving the occupied space alone? There are bunches of the former, I use dban on a regular basis, (just google for it), but I can't say that I've ever heard of the latter.

v

6. winchester73

winchester73

For a hard disk eraser, I use [email protected] Kill ... the Professional version supports several erasing algorithms and is compliant with the U.S. Department of Defense's 5220.22 M standard. I think there is a trial version of it, but I don't know to what level it erases.

7. Ghey_RightZ

Ghey_RightZ Banned

what about Microsoft "CleanUp!"

8. joeAgain------

Valis...and others,
    I'm looking for the later....an application that wipes(overwrites at least 5 times) Only the 'free' space on my HDD, while leaving the occupied space alone.

I Do Not want to wipe(overwrite) my entire HDD or any programs, files or existing data.
    And I don't mean clearing temp, and junk files to make more room on my computer.
    I mean obliterating to D.O.D. standards...Just the free space not being used currently.

Winchester '73 (I own one of those from my grandfather), I may have to go the pay route, but very much hope not to.
    Are there any ones that do that(besides "ERASER") that are still free, please?

9. winchester73

winchester73

Hang on to it now that the Belgian-owned U.S. Repeating Arms Co. is closing its New Haven factory ... :(

Now that we know what you are looking for, I'd suggest you go to C|Net's download site: http://www.download.com/2001-20-0.html

There look to be several applications, most of which are NOT free, but have trials so you can see what works for you.

10. joeAgain------

I will, winchester73
    It's in "good to fair" shape and I've been told it's worth a pretty good amount of money.
    But as broke as I've been over the years, I just don't want to part with something like that given to me by my Dad(who has also "passed on") that was give to him by my grandfather, who had it passed on to him.

It appears to be military used and I thought I'd try tracking it's origin by the numbers (9 ot 10) carved into the stock. Maybe some Army Cavalry man's service No., maybe.

Anyway, on that link....the only free one there didn't do what I want. Just clean temp files, cookies, etc.

I'll just keep looking. They can't ALL cost a fee. Although I wouldn't blame them if I were a programmer.

Thanks

11. joeAgain------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/439456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice