1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the best multifunction printer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unicorncove, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unicorncove

unicorncove Thread Starter

I'm looking for a good multifunction printer that is under $300. It must have copier, scanner and color fax capabilities and print good quality photographs.
    I've been using an HP d135 but it is now defunct and out of warranty.

We use the printer to print CD covers, so it must be able to handle a decent workload and give attractive printouts.

I know there are some good multifunction printers out there, I just don't know how to sort through them all. Any good experiences/suggestions?

2. Conrad747

Conrad747

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

The Brother multifunction printers are cheap, but Brother's printers are the very worst quality you can find. Avoid them.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Brother printers drink ink as well, in their cleaning cycles. Avoid!

5. Cosmic

Cosmic

Sticking with HP on the lower price range end is always a good choice. I have a HP PSC 1210 All-in-One and like it. Got it at a computer show for very cheap money.

Again it is like buying all printers. Focus on the ink. Size of cartridge, amount of ink used in printing and cost of replacement. Do they screw you with that chip in the cartridge so it can't be refilled and only give you a "Starter Cartridge" that has a small amount of ink with the new machine. Remember a lot of these clowns are not in the business of selling printers, they are selling ink. :D

Buying sight unseen can be dangerous. Some of those damn cartridges are approaching postage stamp size. :p

6. unicorncove

unicorncove Thread Starter

Yeah, no kidding. Hence, this post!

As far as the no-refill chip, I found an ink refill company that sent me info on how to bypass it in my current HP officejet d135, so until now I have been able to refill cheaply (12 refills--color and black--for $1 more than the price of 1 of each cartridge!!!) despite the chip.

There are a couple of printers I have my eye on, but they come in so many different versions it's a little overwhealming. I'm a little hesitant to go with HP again only because of the stupid flaws they seem to have (the "Scanner Failure" button is constantly lit so I have to restart the damn thing a dozen times before I can scan or fax anything, and now that the warrenty is out, it's having major printing issues too!), but besids the Cannon multifunction printers, HP is what I'm hearing the most good things about.

I was just wondering if anyone has any specific experience with a really great, affordable (and non ink-drinking) machine.

7. Conrad747

Conrad747

i really don't reccomend all-in-one's, but, of course, it is a matter of preference. if scanner breaks and has to be sent to a shop you are left with no printer. and the other way around.
    i have this epson printer for quite a while now and it is great.

8. Cosmic

Cosmic

Well I do like the HP I have but I don't really print that much with it. Again another advantage to the HP's. They don't tend to clog much with little use. Mostly I use it for scanning. I have two printers hooked up to this particular computer. The other one is an older HP 4L laser and that is what I normally print the most with for common everyday use. The All-in-One is USB and the 4L is parallel. The 4L is far better value for the money per page in terms of ink. I've had it for years. Only bought the All-in-One because I was able to talk the guy down to like $70 and have him throw in a USB cable. Like all things, they have to be willing to make me the deal.

Be interesting to see what they tell you to do to bypass the chip. I don't know if this HP ink jet has the chip or not. Got to look at it. Who sent you the info?

I would stay away from Canon and Lexmark for most printers because the cartridges are just too damn small. It sort of leaves Epson and HP. Depends on who will make you the deal. Epson tends to be the least expensive on the inks but you really have to check in advance of the purchase. I like to get the printer and a bunch of inks at the same time. Make the guy give a combo deal. I have a refill kit so maybe better look into the two HP inkjets I have to see if they might have the chip.

Had an old Epson and it lasted like 7 years, used to refill it a lot. Any of them only last so long. In the future, I am more inclined to go for another Laser printer. Hopefully can find a color one, I can afford.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/309589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice