1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the best POP-UP KILLER?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BigDaveinNJ, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Can anyone reccomend a good POP-UP KILLER (preferably freeware).... because some of these pop-ups are getting out of hand.

I get pop-up ads all the time.... but something funny happens... as soon as they POP-UP they immediately minimize to the taskbar. Any ideas why this happens?

So if any of you use a good pop-up killer... let me know which one works best for you.

Thanks in advance

DAVID

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I use PopUp Killer which works for me. You install it, update the list of banned popups, and train it as you go. When you get a new popup, you open Popup Killer and in the lower window it shows current winows that are open. Double click on the one(s) you dont want to open anymore and they are put in the black list.

http://software.xfx.net/ss.php

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Those ones that minimize are actually pop-unders. I think that the intention is so that you will not immediatly close them and actually have to click on them so that you will see the ad. Also, the companies can tell thier advertisers that see this was the average time last month that people looked at your ad. They count the time the ad was open, not the actual time it was being looked at.

As far as a good pop-up killer, if you are using IE, you can go over to http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm and download this one. It is free and it does take a little training to catch pop-ups and pop-unders, but I have used it to good effect.

Since I have trained it, I only occasionally get a pop-up, and once I add it to the list, I don't get that one again.

Another solution is to turn off java (which I don't like doing since it is used at a lot of sites for other things).

The Opera Browser has an option to turn off pop-ups. The newest version makes it easier to turn it on and off than the older versions. You just press f12 and it brings up a list of quick preferences and the pop-up options are at the top.

4. Ratfood

Ratfood

Hey if you want PM me your email and I'll send you the best one ever. It kills all pop-up/pop-unders before they happen so you don't have to waste bandwidth on them. You don't have to train it like the other ones. Its Maeya 1.1 pop-up killer, size about 715KB.

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice