1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the Best registry cleaner free one

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by TRISH-HICKS, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TRISH-HICKS

TRISH-HICKS Thread Starter

really curious about this one
    trish

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi Trish-Hicks and welcome to TSG :)

Registry cleaners aren't popular with many at TSG.
    Not everyone has issues with them, but many including myself think they are the Devil himself :D
    I have used them as a novice computer user with disastrous results and won't use or recommend them, free or commercial.
    IMO, you're better off with out using one.

3. grwebguy

grwebguy

I like RegScrubXP and CCleaner.
    Both have worked excellent for me without issues.
    They cleanup the crap that lots of installs/uninstalls leave behind.

I'm a newbie to the forum, but not to pc work.

CCleaner also has a more agressive disk cleanup that the standard windows version.

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

5. grwebguy

grwebguy

Interesting but....

1. Don't like registry mechanic anyway.

2. Ccleaner, and RegScrupXP do not delete dlls. They deleted empty reg entries, entries to invalid dlls.

3. These two are not an attempt to fix your pc. They are cleaning up the crap that bad installers put in, and worse uninstallers leave in.

A streamlined reg WILL help your computer, regardless of the lack of numbers, due to the mere fact there is less to read/index.

The use of any softwware designed to fix, or protect a computer on it's own, without an experienced person to manage it, can be hazardous to your pc's health.

6. tbird6820

tbird6820

What is you Opinion on Easycleaner 2.0 (free)

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Unless you can articulate why you wish to clean your registry there is little need in doing so

8. grwebguy

grwebguy

I agree with AJD here. And if you don't know what you are doing, using a reg cleaner, especially one you are not familiar with, could be risky.

9. tbird6820

tbird6820

I could not articulate specifically as a intermediate user and defiantly do not wish to be risky, thanks.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

There's no harm in installing one and running it in "Analyze" mode, just to see the sort of things it finds. As long as you do not tell it to remove anything it will do no harm and could be a learning experience.

I find both CCleaner and jv16PowerTools (and the two others from MaceCraft: RegSupreme and RegSupremePro) to be quite good.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't fix stuff that ain't broke!©

12. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Drive imaging is our friend :D

13. Powlaz

Powlaz

These guys did all the work: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-registry-cleaner.htm
    Here you'll find that EasyCleaner is very highly recommended amongst the free registry cleaners. I've used this site in one form or another for years and uncovered a bunch of jems. EasyCleaner doesn't do all of the work for you. It makes suggestions about what to delete and you will need to decide if they are good suggestions. If you are not ready to make that decision leave your registry alone - this is one area you don't want to make a mistake.

MJ

14. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi powlaz,
    I agree, TechSupportAlert is a great site for independent, well written reviews. As you say - the decision is yours. Me? I leave alone.

Thanks
    Richard

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Powlaz, see post #11. :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice