1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the BEST setup for SPDIF Dolby Digital Audio?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Lu Zhun, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Hello. Here are the specs of the PC:

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Zx - PCI x4 slot
    Speaker System: 2 Logitech Z-5500 surround sound systems hooked to an optical splitter
    Cabling: THX Certified Fiber Optic Cables going out of the Z5500 Control pods into an optical splitter and then into the Sound Card's SPDIF port.

Here is what I am wondering about:

I would like to get the best possible audio quality sound, so I would like to know what I would need to adjust in the OS settings and if there is anymore hardware that I may need to get such as a receiver that has dolby digital / DTS drivers built in and can output that kind of quality?

I am not sure if I did get a receiver, that perhaps I would be able to make it work with the Z-5500 systems somehow? Thank you for more information on this. :)

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Why aren’t you coming out of the Toslink Optical port on the sound card. This would be your best option.

3. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Sorry. That is what I meant that I am using.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Then thats digital audio. I dont think you can get any better out of that sound card

5. kenbok51

kenbok51

With optical out from your sound card directly to the speakers I don't see any reason for you to use a receiver to get dolby or DTS since virtually any sound card that has optical out will also have the decoders as part of their hardware. The only reason you might want a receiver is to utilize it for things other than the PC like a cd player radio auxiliary ins & outs TV sound etc.. If that were the case then you would do toslink from the PC to the receiver and optical out from the receiver to the speakers. 2 sets of 5.1 speakers? Are you insane? Your sound cards options sections will have any settings you can use for spdif found from either a right click of the icon in the tray or the Control Panel listing for the card (Creative Sound Blaster?).

6. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking the that the sound card would have the dolby digital/dts decoders built into it as well but according to Sound Blaster technical support via email, they do not have them built in and said that a receiver would be needed to act as a decoder.

Creative Sound Blaster Technical Support Email Response:
    The majority of modern content-centric devices such as A/V Receivers,TVs, Blu-Ray players, game consoles and power amplifiers already support decoding. There is no decoding support on the Sound Blasters as such decoding is best handled by these devices. To to achieve 5.1 Dolby Digital Live output, a decoder is required. The sound card does not decode this information on its own. The sound card will passthrough this signal through the S/PDIF output to the external digital decoder. The home theater receiver will have to decode the Dolby Digital or DTS encoded audio.

How to do SPDIF-In Decoding on the PCI Express Sound Blaster Cards
    http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=107680

The highest bit-depths and sampling frequency for the Sound Blaster ZxR is at 24-bit/192KHz in Windows. However, this is only available for stereo / stereo direct speaker configuration under Sound Blaster Z-series Control Panel. To ensure that you have the highest audio quality, it begins with high-quality recordings or how the original audio has been recorded. Ensuring that your recording is as high-quality as possible means that the audio file haven't gone through editing. Original audio without any audio enhancements; unlike normal stereo that allows 'wet effects" to be applied.

7. kenbok51

kenbok51

That's interesting info. I have several creative audio cards and always assumed they did the decoding, but not having a receiver or speakers with optical in I have always used the 5.1 channel 1/8th phono plug setup for my 5.1 channel speakers. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't look into the decoding info before I posted my response. But a really good set of amplified speakers will probably have the decoders built in so you should still be good with a direct from the sound card to your speaker split. According to the Newegg specs for that speaker system, it does have "Onboard 5.1 digital decoding" but there is no mention of DTS or Dolby specifically in the specification listing.

8. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Oh okay. Thanks for the information! That's okay about the decoding situation. It does sound rather good as it is now, but I guess I was just trying to see if it can be improved anymore than what it is and looking at those options, lol. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!