1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the best thing to do for static ip?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ingeborgdot, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

I have an isy 99 and a NAS and want to check them periodically when I am gone but the ip address changes sometimes and I can't get in. Someone suggested DynDNS. Could someone explain to me how this works? Thanks.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Dynamic DNS is a method of getting around the issue of not having a static IP to pin against a domain name. How dynamic DNS works is one of two ways. If you have a router/firewall which supports dynamic DNS, all you have to do is configure the router/firewall with your account specifics. If the router/firewall sees a change in your dynamic IP address from your ISP, the router/firewall will launch a connection to your dynamic DNS service and update your registration with the new IP address. Obviously, this is the best setup to have as changes are near instantaneous. The drawback is if you have a dynamic DNS service which is not supported by the built in client on your router/firewall.

The next method you can use if your router/firewall does not have support for dynamic DNS or the dynamic DNS service you have is to run a software client on a PC or server. The software client will do periodic checks to see if your public IP has changed. If it has, it goes out to your service and updates your registration information. The drawback to this is you have to have a computer running this client up 24/7 or how every long you need to ensure proper dynamic DNS updates. The other issue is that the software has to be set up to check your public IP at a certain interval. If you set the interval small, you have to deal with additional network chatter. If you set it too big, you may have a period where you may not be able to access your network due to your public IP being out of sync with your dynamic DNS domain.

3. ingeborgdot

How will I know if my router supports this? I have a 2wire 1701HG. Do you know anything about this?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Ever see the acronym RTM. Stands for Read the manual!
    If your router/modem doesn't support it then just run the client on a computer.

5. ingeborgdot

Hey Squash. I have no stinking manual. When At&t sent it to me there was no stinking manual.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Log in to the administration GUI and see if there are any options for configuring dynamic DNS.

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The manual should have been on the driver CD.
    Easily found on the 2wire site:
    www.2wire.com
    Support and Documentation at the Top
    Downloads on the left
    Gateways
    Model 100/1000 Series

Dpesn't look like it supports Dynamic DNS, so you'd need to run a client on a PC.

8. ingeborgdot

Where do I look in the manual to see where you find it does not support it? Not sure sorry. Ignorance is showing. I wonder if any of the newer 2701HG would work? I could get one of those if it would.

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I just searched for DDNS, which is how both Linksys and D-Link refer to it. Then searched on Dynamic and just DNS, then scrolled through the Advanced settings pages. Didn't see anything. I don't see any mention in the 2701 manual either.

I'd expect it to be fairly easy to find.

10. ingeborgdot

I got my dyndns acct setup but I am too stupid to figure out what to do next. Can anyone guide me? Thanks.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  12. ingeborgdot

I have downloaded the update clients but I can't get it to go. I must need to go into my router and change the settings. I am not sure what to do but I guess I will find out.

I would like not to have a client because I don't want my computer to run all the time when I am gone to check on my isy and was wondering if a change of router from my 2wire for att would be good. I would need a modem and router but some say to find a good combination for att is hard.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The DynDNS client requires no changes in your router configuration.

14. ingeborgdot

I don't need to change a port? The test says refused.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Test? What test?

No, you needn't do anything with ports. "Refused" means DynDNS refused the request. Maybe you typed your user name or password incorrectly?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice