1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the best version of linux for an XP machine?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by rismith, Oct 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. rismith

rismith Thread Starter

What is the best version of linux to downlosd for a win xp machine?

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ rismith:-

Whilst I agree that ZorinOS is a good 'drop-in' replacement for Windows XP, much will depend on your hardware specs. Many XP-era machines were woefully under-powered (my own elderly Dell laptop is a case in point!), and before making any recommendations, it's a good idea to know what we're dealing with.

So; it would be helpful to know make & model (if known); CPU; amount of RAM; size (and type) of hard drive; graphics chip/card.....that kind of thing. Once we know those, we'll be in a better position to decide what would provide the best 'experience' for you. Glibly replying 'so-and-so OS' without at least asking some basic questions is a sure-fire recipe for disaster, especially given the sheer number & variety of Linux OSs there are available.....enough to cater for every single possible use-case.

Out of curiosity, what do you usually use your computer for? What do you tend to do with it?

Mike. ;)

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I've run Zorin on a close to a couple decades old Dell Dimension 4100 that had a 700 MHZ Intel Pentium III.

ZorinOS.com/help/system-requirements

5. KONKA

KONKA

I am using Linux Mint 19 Tara, Cinnamon and find it works well if that is of any help.
    There are heaps out there just have to read reviews.
    I downloaded mine onto a DVD first and ran it from there for a week before installing it just to see if it suited me.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I'm glad I found this thread.....I shall pull out my old HP Pavillion XG 843 and give Zorin Lite a try.

7. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The replies you already have are good. I would start with Puppy Linux and/or Lubuntu. But that's only because I have used those before.

But, for you, the "best version" is one that works with your hardware and whose user interface is satisfactory to you.

You can try any number of them without even installing, as Linux based distributions will (almost all) run as a "Live CD."

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice