1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the best way to install Linux on macOS ?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by guyamit, Nov 13, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. guyamit

guyamit Thread Starter

I got a mac (High Sierra) for personal use and I would like to have Linux installed on it for using it as part of my professional work. so, I wanted to check what is the best way to install Linux on that OS.
    Also, are there any issues or common problems with such a solution ?

Thanks,
    Guy.

----------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017
  2. Sponsor

3. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Guy :)

You should have a program called Boot Camp on your MAC. That's the program that will allow you to install and run a second OS on your MAC. You can run Boot Camp and have it install Linux on a seperate partition. Boot Camp is free from Apple. There are several other commercial software programs which will allow you to install seperate OS systems on your MAC.
    Remember to do a complete system backup before you run Boot Camp just in case of a issue.

4. guyamit

guyamit Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer, but is this option means I will need to boot every time to a different OS ? any recommendation on some virtual machine (like VMware that I'm using in some hosting centers that I'm managing on cloud services) ?

5. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

guyamit likes this.
  6. guyamit

guyamit Thread Starter

Many Thanks ! I will give it a try. Do you have any idea how it works on macOS ?

7. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good John

Sorry, no experience with Apple products.

Should be similar, though.

VirtualBox sets up a virtual drive that you can install guest OS's on, just as if the virtual drive was another computer, but running at the same time while maintaining access to both.

guyamit likes this.
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199425