1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Is The Best?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Rick Bretz, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rick Bretz

Rick Bretz Thread Starter

Hello All,

I think I might be opening up a can of worms here, but I have a client here that wants to switch to Linux op system.

Ok, here's my problem, I am not in tune with the Linux op systems and I have spend the last few days reviewing all of the different distributions out there. Red Hat, Caldera, Corel, Debian and others. The problem is this...what is the best one out there?
    They all look good to me...or the same to me.

My client told me the she doesn't want to spend A LOT of time learning the Linux versions of programs that she will be using. She uses Star Office quite a bit and she has told me that she understands that there will be different ways to get into the Linux system as opposed to a Windows system, but she doesn't want a huge learning curve.

She is hoping that I can find a system that is VERY user friendly and can handle the programs that she is currently using or at the very least find programs that are compatible with the stuff she is using now. (i.e. Star Office compatible with MS Office)

Can anyone out there help me sort this confusion out?

Much appreciated! Email me at: [email protected]

Regards,

Richard Bretz
    www.sanctuarycomputers.com
    Brand new 1.6 GHz computer system with 17" monitor for $850!

2. Gibble

Gibble

If you want user friendly, I'd suggest Mandrake.

3. Scully

Scully

So your looking at installing a workstation class of machine?
    I would use either Mandrake or RedHat. Personally I like RedHat. But they're both pretty easy.

4. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

I'll put in a vote for Mandrake. It's super easy to use for linux newbies. Then again it's the only version of linux I have tried so far.

5. Enigma

Enigma

I agree, Mandrake is very good for newbies. But I wouldn't go using it as a server unless you absolutely have to.

I'm ashamed to say that at the moment I'm running mandrake as a server...

It crashes more that windows!
    (Probably because I'm running 7 dedicated game servers on it, apache, eXtremail, dhcp, samba, webmin, an IRCd, PureFTP, the list goes on...) :D

6. stufine

stufine

I vote for Mandrake.

7. RonK

RonK

8. MikeV

MikeV

If you want it to be seriously easy, it really doesn't matter what distro. It's more in the setup. You can take ANY distro, configure it to boot directly to the GUI instead of the console (yea, I know, most of the distros already boot to GUI. have fun when your vga stops working), and then just have the icons that are necessary appear on the desktop.

I would definitely go for the most stable version, which really means any of them. I'm biased, I'll tell you to use Slackware. Support the little guy!

-M

9. Massive

Massive

Actually they're all pretty good but for the easiest install I think that Redhat is also pretty good, but maybe just too user-optimized that they forgot about us peoples who wana make our own discover of the app. Then Mandrake would be the best choice.

Actually I've been just trying to install Debian and I must tell you that the fun is to find out why the partition thing wont work, why the files wont copy and why the **** it wont tell you "Congradulation it works". Might seems boring but I'm almost having fun trying to make it run hehe!

10. Gibble

Gibble

Good choice :D

11. volrathxp

volrathxp

i dunno i kinda like Suse 7.3. It is user-friendly and does have a lot of handy apps that come with the professional version like Star Office. Plus, Yast2 is great for installing software. Fast too. of course, all my opinion. :)

volrathxp

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice