1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the difference between an AGP Video Card and a PCI video card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilusha2, Oct 4, 2002.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest Thread Starter

I found out that I don't have an AGP Video slot in my computer after I wanted to get a video card for games, and someone told me that PCI isn't as good as AGP, since AGP is newer and better/faster, etc. But is AGP a lot better? Because AGP has that x4, etc. thing, and does that mean that PCI doesn't, that PCI can't accelerate the graphics? And if it can't, then is there a point in getting a PCI card altogether? Also, I was wondering, is a video card better than RAM being used for Video Memory? Because I have 320 MB of RAM, and that's more than enough to be used for 16MB of Video Memory.

2. Ryan_V

Ryan_V

Yes, basically the bus speed of an AGP card can transfer data faster than a PCI card. An analogy would be a pipe which pumps water through. A smaller pipe = PCI, a larger pipe - AGP.

AGP is better (Generally speaking) than a PCI card, only if your system can make full use of it. It is pointless to have an AGP 4X or 8X with low amounts of RAM, PC100 RAM, 5400RPM HD. (Water pipe analogy).

In regards to Video Memory and normal RAM, it does make a difference. They are both used to do different things. Video Ram is suited to drawing textures, or storing textures of games which enables the game to run better. It is also used to help perform specific instructions of that video card.

Note: Wait next year, 3rd or 4th quarter. It looks like it will be pointless to have an AGP card.

Also its 4:30AM here, i didnt get into too much detail

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/98273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice