1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the difference between an ATX and ATX12v Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AhrenBa, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am looking to buy a new PSU. What is the difference between an ATX and ATX12v? And, how do I know which one I need? Thanks

2. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Anyone?

3. pugmug

pugmug Banned

4. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Awesome! Thank you. That helps explain it a lot better!

In another post I had, I confirmed that a Dell 4700 could use an industry standard power supply. However, I noticed that the current power supply (from Dell) does not use the 20th pin on the mainboard connector which is the -5v pin, where as most PSU do. Someone was telling me that the -5v pin did not matter, but will it still effect the Dell, since it doesn't use it?

What should I do about this? What does the "-" sign mean anyways (before the voltage rating)? Will it hurt if the new PSU does have this pin? Thanks

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    - is for negative.

6. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Yes, but I mean what is the difference between the + and the -. Does the + bring power to the motherboard and the - take it away to somewhere else?

Since Dell does not have a pin #20 (-5v), will it effect anything? Is there a way to get around it if it does? Thanks

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

8. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Lol, I knew I would get burned for asking this. But wouldn't you guys get more mad if I re-opened the other thread? Plus this is a different question :). Thanks for the help though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/477624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice