1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the difference between memory frequency ratios?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AcidicRage, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AcidicRage

AcidicRage Thread Starter

I just downloaded the program, CPU-Z, and it shows that I have a memory frequency of 141.6MHz and FSB:DDR ratio of 3:4. I was wondering if this is good or bad? I know the memory frequency may be high because I have overclocked the FSB in the BIOS.

Also....
    CAS# Latency is 2.5 Clocks. RAS# to CAS# Delay is 3 Clocks. RAS# Precharge is 3 Clocks & Cycle Time (Tras) is 6 Clocks. Everything look good?

Btw, I have two sticks of Mushkin 512 PC2100 DDR.
    I think its best to match the FSB and memory, so the ratio is same and is it the lower the better on all clocks? How do I change it? I believe that when I overclocked in the BIOS, there was an option that changed my overall multiplier (P4 = o/c to 2.12ghz = 100x20, mine is now 106x20) which I think changes the MEMORY and CPU Mhz...how do I make the ratios same?

2. AcidicRage

Any suggestions? I have an Intel I845E chipset, btw.

3. AcidicRage

Ok got it. I found where the options are in my BIOS, they were in the Advanced Chipset Features. I can set all the CAS# latency stuff from 2.5 to 2.0 and all the precharge. If I do change these, it gives me a warning on the side that changing the timings and settings can cause my computer not to reboot up, in that case I have to reset/clear the CMOS. How would I go about just in case?

4. Rockn

Rockn

Same way you did, just change the settings back

5. AcidicRage

OK, I managed to change the CAS# Latency from 2.5 to 2.0. It didn't hang up on me or anything ... any other timing settings I should change like the RAS#, etc while I'm still in the BIOS? I hope this would help improve my performance a tiny bit.... :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/201974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice