What is the difference between..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

epidemic

...Microsoft Windows XP Pro Edition and the OEM Version of it? What exactly is OEM, and is the OEM version the same as the oringinal version?

OEM is identical in every respect, apart from the conditions under which the license permits its use.

It is for use on the hardware with which it is purchased, and cannot be separated from that hardware if sold, or cannot be transferred to other hardware.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture

Telephone support cannot be obtained from Microsoft. But that is not a disadvantage really.

Price wise it is usually the way to go.

epidemic

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me. And another question, if I purchesed to OEM version and I want to reinstall Windows, can I enter the same product key to activate it, or would I have to have a totally new product key?

You can reinstall it on the same hardware in exactly the same way as full retail - no difference at all.

You just cannot transfer it to different hardware (in theory, according to the license...)

Just be careful where you buy it (OEM).

Some "deals" on the web are to good to be true.

They are apparently on-selling OEM copies, that have already been installed. Could be a real problem to reactivate one day.

If the price is too good to be true, it is not true....

epidemic

So what would be a normal priced OEM? And what website(s) do you recommend for me to buy it at? Thanks in advance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online