1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the difference between..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by epidemic, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. epidemic

epidemic Thread Starter

...Microsoft Windows XP Pro Edition and the OEM Version of it? What exactly is OEM, and is the OEM version the same as the oringinal version?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

OEM is identical in every respect, apart from the conditions under which the license permits its use.

It is for use on the hardware with which it is purchased, and cannot be separated from that hardware if sold, or cannot be transferred to other hardware.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture

Telephone support cannot be obtained from Microsoft. But that is not a disadvantage really.

Price wise it is usually the way to go.

3. epidemic

epidemic Thread Starter

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me. And another question, if I purchesed to OEM version and I want to reinstall Windows, can I enter the same product key to activate it, or would I have to have a totally new product key?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You can reinstall it on the same hardware in exactly the same way as full retail - no difference at all.

You just cannot transfer it to different hardware (in theory, according to the license...)

5. epidemic

epidemic Thread Starter

Ok cool. You've been very helpful, Thanks.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Just be careful where you buy it (OEM).

Some "deals" on the web are to good to be true.

They are apparently on-selling OEM copies, that have already been installed. Could be a real problem to reactivate one day.

If the price is too good to be true, it is not true....

7. epidemic

epidemic Thread Starter

So what would be a normal priced OEM? And what website(s) do you recommend for me to buy it at? Thanks in advance.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

No idea where you live.

As shown, I could find a NZ price but that would be unrealistic if you are in the UK, or US.

Read this for guidance perhaps.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/03/oem_software_scams/
    Buy from a reputable place if on-line, one that has a secure server for transactions and a real address for a physical location.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you live in the US, this is a relaiable vendor with decent prices.

wrs

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice