1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the easiest way to upgrade multiple Vista PC's to Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DiamondDog, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Thread Starter

Just as asked in the title. I'm not an IT professional by any means, everything I know I've picked up on my own. With that being said, I just started working for a small local repair shop. We were contracted by a small business to upgrade all of their laptops to Windows 7 and they emphasized keeping all their data and software configurations is extremely important. I've already checked and the laptops are spec'd to meet the upgrade requirements. Also, the software that they are using on these laptops is compatible as well.

My initial thought was that the easiest upgrade path would be to just run the setup.exe once booted into windows 7, since that automates all the user data and application migration. But I'm sitting here now and this first laptop is about to hit an hour on the clock since the process started and I'm thinking isn't there an easier way to do this on all of the laptops simultaneously? We only have one x86 copy of the Windows 7 Prof install DVD and I just can't help but think I'm not working as efficiently as I could be.

Any and all insight and answers are appreciated.

Also, this is my first question topic. You guys here seem like a helpful bunch. I foresee that I will be coming back with more questions in the futures thanks to my new job :cool:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It's been a long time since I upgraded a Windows Vista SP2 computer to Windows 7 SP1, but I don't recall it taking more than an hour.

----------------------------------------------------------

If you have only one copy of Windows 7 Professional SP1, how do you plan to activate it in multiple computers?

The 25-character product key for that DVD can't be used in more than one computer.

3. DiamondDog

@flavallee

Our clients have their own activation keys. We are not selling them Windows 7, just doing the work of upgrading and they are providing us with the keys. You are right though, it just seems very time consuming to have to do this separately for 9 other computers. I was looking into perhaps configuring a distribution share for a network install, but it doesn't seem like we can upgrade that way.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I was going by the above comments you made and assumed you have one Windows 7 Professional DVD with one product key and wanted to upgrade and activate multiple Windows Vista computers with it.

Thanks for the clarification.

If there's a way of upgrading 10 computers at the same time, I'm not familiar with it.

Hopefully, someone else who can better advise you will jump in.

5. DiamondDog

@flavallee

Yeah, I ended up just running the upgrade on each laptop one by one. I'm still curious to see if there's a better method though.

6. bud1970

bud1970

why did you not just make ten copies of the DVD and run them in each machine simultaneously. its the license that validates the copy of windows, not the physical media used to install it..

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Once they've been upgraded to Windows 7 SP1, there will be over 100 important/recommended updates to download and install to bring it completely up-to-date, so you have some time-consuming work ahead of you with so many of them to do. Good luck. (y)

------------------------------------------------------------

8. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice