1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the form factor of my mother board?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hansjurg, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hansjurg

Hansjurg Thread Starter

How can I determine what the form factor of my motherboard is? I want to upgrade the power supply to 350W or more to accomodate a new video card which requires that minimum level of ummph.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is the Motherboard Square or is it a rectangle shape? More Square usually = Micro ATX. More of a rectangle shape = ATX. By the Way the motherboard form factor would really have nothing to do with the Power Supply you select. Unless it is a BTX (Small Form Factor for slimline computers) motherboard, you would have to find a Power Supply to fit the slim line case.

If it is one of the ATX form factor, then you should actually be looking towards a quality manufacturer 550W or better power supply.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A word of advise; do not go with the min requirements when selecting a pw supply. If the card mfg shows a 400W rating as min, you should consider at least a 450~500W unit. If you stop and think about it for a min or two, it makes perfect sense. When you make a part work at or near its maximum, it is not going to last very long. The analogy I use is "Do you run the engine in your car at full throttle all of the time" If you did, it would not last long.

Next the quality of the unit is MUCH more important than a wattage rating. Good brands; corsair [not the builder series] pcpower&cooling, seasonic, or FSP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice