1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the meaning of "Drive Contents Changed, Restarting"

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Copernicus, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Copernicus

Copernicus Thread Starter

On my last C: defrag, partway through the process, the message, Drive Contents Changed, Restarting, appeared on the screen. The Defrag scale promptly returned to zero and the whole process of checking and rewriting started all over again. This happened a total of 6 times at varying percentages of the defrag process. The defrag did complete, but took roughly 2-3 times as long as it should've. What would cause this message to appear? How do I solve whatever the issue, assuming there is one, is the cause of this message? Please Advise.

2. mtbird

mtbird

This can happen when you have programs running in the background. Be sure to shut down any running programs such as antivirus, screen saver, etc., before starting the defrag.

Debe

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Hi copernicus,its as Debe says above,everybody has this problem,and sometimes its worse than others,I find the best way to defrag is from safe mode myself,it all depends on whats running in the background,and every computer is different ..... ;)

4. TOGG

TOGG

The way that works for me is to Cntrl, Alt, Delete and then' End Task' everything displayed EXCEPT Explorer and Systray.

Some things are very persistent and may need doing twice, but, once you get down to those two items (and turn off any screensaver you have running), Scandisk and Defrag should run without any interruption.

5. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Here's another little tip:

I tried using ctrl+alt+del to end task everything. Absolutely NOTHING was running but defrag still restarted every few seconds, until...

...I noticed my cable modem flashing on occaision as it constantly gets pinged, and my HDD light blinking. I physically disconnected the modem from the computer and acheived a sucessful, uninterrupted defrag.

6. TOGG

TOGG

pyritechips,

The method I use is fine for us poor people on dialups. I forgot about you lucky folks with 'always on' connections!!

7. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    How you doing, Brummie?:D

Yeah, "always on" is great, until it interfers with defrags, and you end up getting pinged to death by ad snoops:rolleyes: It took me months to figure out what was going on.

8. TOGG

TOGG

I'm OK thanks - it's the others who need watching!!.

Seriously, I'm doing alright at the minute, thanks for asking. At the moment we're going through a cold spell by UK standards
    (-7C nightime lows +3 or 4 daytime), but it feels colder in the wind. As long as I can afford the gas bill though I'm not too worried.

Perhaps I'll move to the 'Boast/Complain about your weather' thread in Random and see how people with really cold weather are coping?.

9. Copernicus

Copernicus Thread Starter

The Defrag was being run from the desktop-Programs-Accessories access point. I've since set the thing up as an icon on the desktop to avoid having to hunt for it.
    No other applications were running in the background and the dial up was off.
    I had thought that a new piece of software that I had just loaded a few days earlier might have been the problem as it was a cyber garbage hunter and who knows how much junk was laying around in various bits and bytes even though my cookie killer is fairly efficient about dispatching the brutes. I had also just a had repeat problem with the driver file for my monitor and the Windows matching software not getting along that caused the screen to turn a shattered shade of violent red with streaks of black and other hues during startup. Anyway.
    Any other or additional thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks for your input everyone.

Copernicus

10. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, There is a program called Diskeeperlite from Executive Software. This is supposed to be able to defray in the background whilst you are using the come. It is free.

I have never had much trouble with defragging although I do it after being on tenet etc. with my startup programs still running.

Peace Mal

11. TOGG

TOGG

Copernicus,

I am not an expert in any aspect of computing but it seems likely that if your defrag program claims that the drive content has changed, either another program has written to the drive, or your defrag program is faulty.

You don't say what OS you are using. I have read that the Win ME defragger works better than most and that some people have replaced their OS's version of defrag with ME's and had good results. I don't know if that is true but I'm sure someone else here will have some idea whether it works and what the risks are.

I once tried a third party utility to speed up defragging and it not only didn't work but took some shared files with it when uninstalled which meant a reinstall of Windows. I was even less competent then than I am now so it could have been my error but it cured me of trying to speed up defragging!!

If you End Task everything your cyber garbage hunter would be included and you could then see if your monitor might be involved. I didn't even know that monitors had their own drivers but mine is over 6 years old!

12. Ethmer

Ethmer

Running Defrag

HELP AIDS

EndItAll2

EndItAll2.zip is a program that lets you close all running programs. Comes in handy when wanting to do a Scandisk or Defrag or wanting to close all open programs prior to an install.

Download (it's FREE) from:

http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

DEFRAGGER 4.90.3000

This utility is part of the Windows ME operating system, but it will work just as well with Windows 95 and 98. After you download it from

http://www.geocities.com/one_human/progalpha.html

unzip it to the C:\WINDOWS folder. Rename the 95/98 "defrag.exe" file to "defrag_old.exe". Rename the new "WinME_defrag.exe" file to "defrag.exe". You will now have the benefit of watching the defragging process complete much faster than it did before.

The above is from TSG member flavallee's Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips http://9337387.home.icq.com/index.html

When you're looking for the utility at the download site, it is near the bottom and is titled: WinME Defrag.

My solution (which i always use):

1. At a time when not going to use computer for awhile, close screensaver.

2. Click on EndItAll2 icon closing all running programs.

3. Run Scandisk.

4. Run Defrag.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice