what is the name of my printer port for networking?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kngsxvigil

I have a windows XP laptop and a desktop Win98SE running a xerox M950 printer. I would like to print from my laptop to my printer attached to my desktop. I don't know what the printer port name is...nor do I know how to identify it through the add a printer wizard when I try to browse for it. Please help. I am at a standstill. For now, I am saving documents to a floppy and then printing them from the desktop. I have a network cable attaching the two and basically need help setting up the network...or just naming the proper port. When I look on the desktop computer the printer port is called something like this:
XPRT_WMS: (Xerox Virtual Printer Port)...but what is the exact naming sequence for naming it on my laptop???!!! Do I place \\'s or something....I'm a dunce! Please help if you can.

kngsxvigil

I would like to use a direct cable connection...but don't know how to choose the network cable that is connected between the two...when I go through the advanced connection wizard...I only have the choice of connecting with com1 or lpt1...should I just connect with a normail phone line?...or should I try to connect with the ethernet cable?

First you will have to set up a lan to let the two machines communicate, once that is done it should be easy to map the printer as long as you have it shared.

Get some info here

http://www.wown.com/

kngsxvigil

Brian,....thanks...the only thing that I have left to do is get the right "crossed 10baseT cable" so that my laptop and my desktop can communicate. I will let you know how it goes. That website was very informative. Thank you, and if it was yours...very nicely written...for us "dummies". I needed some basic hand-holding to get me there....now I need to get the proper cable and then I can reallly see if it works.

kngsxvigil

Ok, I got the right cable...but how do I view my desktop system from my Laptop...how do I get this networking party started. I followed just about every detail from the website that you provided...including setting up an IP address on each one...but ....what next? Sheesh...I'm a dunce. Please help.
Is there an issue of my Win XP laptop communicating with my Win 98SE desktop? or will they work together properly.

Are you able to ping the desktop from your laptop? Got to Start>Run, type 'cmd' (without the quotes) and hit Enter. Now type 'ping 192.168.0.2' or whatever IP you assigned the desktop. Make sure that's working first.

Do either of the computers see the other (or themselves, for that matter) in Network Neighborhood?
I've seen, heard of, and experienced probs with being able to 'see' other computers from Windows XP. Microsoft supposedly isn't supporting netbeui on XP anymore but they did include it on the XP cd in the \valueadd\msft\net\netbeui folder. Install that on the laptop (instructions are in the readme in that same folder) and also on the desktop if not already installed.

kngsxvigil

When I go to view my network "workgroup" computers I can't find my desktop computer and shared printers, files, etc. I only see my laptop computer named and it's folders and files... I thought I had set up everything properly. Am I supposed to do something more so that I can "see" and use my files/printers that are on my desktop computer?
DAMNIT!! Please help me someone!

kngsxvigil also messaged me that he can't ping.

Can you explain how you have them connected? Are you using a crossover cable plugged into 2 nics? Are the lights on the nics on? Are the computer both in the same workgroup? What are their IPs, subnets, other network settings. What protocols do you have installed on each? What is your Primary Network logon?

A reply from kngsxvigil
about network settings...
You asked:
Can you explain how you have them connected? via a crossover network CAT 5 cable. Are you using a crossover cable plugged into 2 nics? Are the lights on the nics on? I don' t know what lights you are referring to...both show that a network connection has been plugged in.. Are the computer both in the same workgroup? Yes, MSHOME What are their IPs, subnets, other network settings. The IP's are desktop 192.168.13.1 and name is Paperwait1. The laptop is IP 192.168.13.2 and name is Paperwait2. The subnets are both 255.255.255.What protocols do you have installed on each? as for protocols...I have many on the laptop including the TCP/IP with the above address and subnets..but not netbeui...this is a preinstalled version of XP and I couldn't find the file you mentioned to install.What is your Primary Network logon? I'm not sure what logon you are referring to...so I can't answer that. I'm sorry. If you need more info. just ask...

If you right-click on network neighborhood on the desktop, you should see the option to choose the Primary Network logon. Set it to Client for Microsoft Networks. If you don't see that as an option, install it by clicking Add>Client, etc.

On the XP cd, you don't see the folder named Valueadd?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online