1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the name of what I'm looking for? (Database help)

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by overdrawnprocess, Nov 18, 2018.

1. overdrawnprocess

overdrawnprocess Thread Starter

I use Wordpress.

I would like to have a searchable database.

I would like to have a database of websites. I'd like each result to display as a page where it shows the website, includes link tags (that you can search by) of services they offer.

And some tags about them in general.

The other important thing is I really want there to be something a user can click on to let me know if a website is dead/no longer active and I can know.

I do know some HTML but ideally there would be a plus that would help me with this. I know what I want is a database but any time I've search for that I get kind of lost

Is there a specific term for what I want? And would there be a Wordpress theme I could buy to simplify it on my end or anything I could buy to do it for me? So I have an easy UI to use to manage it.

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    You can do this with any Wordpress theme. Wordpress has a database already. This is more about how manageable such a concept will be. It could be accomplished using a Custom Post Type in Wordpress and then a suitable page template to display the data. In the CPT you would have a link to the site concerned, that link could pull a copy of the site home page (may be slow) or you could do a screen shot and set that as the featured image, as to the tags you could try getting those from the site but it may be better getting them manually. You could turn on comments to allow people to report issues or have a link that takes them to a pre-filled contact us form. These are my initial thoughts.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice