1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the normal operating CPU core temp?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weirdthumb, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weirdthumb

weirdthumb Thread Starter

I have a GateWay Profile 3(1.33 Mhz 128 ram). The CPU core temp is a constant 160 F My CPU monitering software is saying this is way too hot. The motherboard is also on the warm side of things. I do hear both the fans PIII 1.33 mhz chip? If it is running too hot how can I fix this with a all in one unit like the gateway( I would love to buy a new sys,but Im broke!) Oh BTW this system was a kickdown computer from a friend who just bought a new MAC power book.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

160 degrees is pushing it (in my opinion) and I'd start thinking about some hardcore cooling. Maybe reset the HS with new thermal paste - or a new copper HS and fan!

3. weirdthumb

The only problem with that idea is htat this is a Gateway Profile. You know one of those all in one wonders(its a kickdown pc so I can't complain) I have no idea of how to even open this thing up. Also is there anyplace online that I can get some user manuals and tech info(gateway won't tell me ****)

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Gateway won't give you any information!? Them low down snakes...Next best thing would be a google search.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its always at 160 degrees and never moves then I would bet its an error in the sensor or program. Check the temp in the BIOS setup of the computer.

6. weirdthumb

Ok, I check the BIOS(three times over) and could not find anything that monitors and controls the cooling system. Gateway finaly emailed me the spec sheet after a few days of my constaintly bugging them. I go to Intel and they no longer provide tech support for the PIII. BTW Im not sure if its a strieght PIII or a PIII Tualatin chip. It has a 810e chip set.The Profile 3 is supposed to have an Active heat sink(is that the one with the heat pipe?) AS you can see Im getting a crash course in Thermal management. Im now using Speed Fan to monitor the three temp circuits and control the fan speed. After starting the program up the primary fan is set to 100% and the secondaries are at 15% and 10% respectivly. After turning all three fans up to 100% I noticed the screen getting considerably brighter. I also notice the external power supply is also extremly hot. Could this be the problem? Does anyone know of any web sites or forums that helps Gateway Profile users? Well Im off to do more research on this system. Oh, btw does anyone know if im able to upgrade the CPU in this profile sys? I do give everybody and the site admin guys a big thanks for theis wonderfull board. :) thank you for reading this and helping me with my total thermal mis-management.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Active means it has a fan. There's nothing to upgrade too, the highest clock speed of a P3 was 1.4 Ghz. And that is a Tualatin core.

If the temperature was really that high the system would be crashing and locking up constantly. If the system is running fine then its probably OK.

8. qldit

qldit

G'day wierdthumb, if this is one of those clever gateway shrouded things from the bottom of the powersupply, the last one I saw I mounted a large case fan in the case side (with lots of holes) blowing directly toward the lower area of the shroud, in that virtually all the in-case heat was exhausted by the powersupply fan the increased airflow in that circuit helped enormously. I was not impressed with the original design idea.
    Cheers, qldit.

9. weirdthumb

The supply that came with this system is truly one of those that you get with a laptop. Its a small rectanglular gray box with no heat sink style air fins. Right now its not to hot(the system has been one for about an hour and a half now. Once I get another laptop Im thinking of experiamenting with the cooling system a bit. Im gonna try and rewire the fans so that I can keep them runing even when the system is off. I thinking of using a couple of 9 volt batteries in this setup. Sould I hook these batteries in series or parallel? Im also thinking of a booster fan Idea. A ram air system retrofitted on the intake fan and a supped up fan for the exhaust. Both fans will be attached outside of the case over the existing fan vents. Im not sure how to attache the fans. Some ideas would incude velcro,a bracket system(probably using the old 486 style heat sink adapters. What do yall think about this idea? Is it feaasable? Hell, This type of system would probably work great for laptops and crazy systems like mine.

10. two1361

two1361

ok... i got 3 intake fans and 2 exiting fans in my case... then plus whatever is in the PSU... lol and my cpu is at 27 degrees Celsius or somewhere there about

11. qldit

qldit

G'day again wierdthumb, please disregard my comments I was not aware the thing you had was one of those little things that suck up money, more relative to age..
    Cheers, qldit.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/364241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice