1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the PCI card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cananyonehelpme, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cananyonehelpme

cananyonehelpme Thread Starter

Look, I know I may seem really thick but since installing my Creative webcam I have had lots of problems. ie. on starting up AVG kicks in with internal errors and the only thing I know to do is keep restarting until I get lucky!! Now I have uninstalled most of it (Except the shared files) and have tried to install my scanner. I think that has worked okay but starting up is still a problem. I get the message new hardware found, searching for software. Then I am told I have a new PCI card and need software for it. Well, I just cancel it don't I but I don't even know what it is or why it comes up, or what I should do!

Also when I go onto the net (possibly down to the webcam again) I get an error message that newsupd has caused an error and will close. It doesn't seem to cause problems when I okay it, but it would be a releif to get rid of!
    Thankyou to anyone who cares enough to reply, my main concern is obviously the PCI card.
    from Linda.

2. beach51

beach51

Hi cananyonehelpme,the error message your getting about newsupd,causeing an error.newsupd is spyware.You probably got it from creative webcam.heres a link that will explain it.

www.cexx.org/newsupd.htm

Might be a good idea to post your startup programs back here so we can see if you have anything else.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32>click ok>click on the + sign next to software environment,click on startup programs>click on edit>select all>click edit>copy and paste the page back here.

3. cananyonehelpme

Well, I got rid of the newsupd by doing a system restore to before the WebCam or scanner.
    I have managed to get as far as the copying the start-up program but do not seem to be able to paste it here! It is very long...
    On lots of novice investigation I have found through Device Manager that the drivers for PCI Multimedia Audio Device are not installed (Code 28).
    I have been advised to install and remove webcam again but am terrified to, look what happened last time I messed with it!
    Today when I started up it froze before loading Windows and sounded like it was firing a machine gun at me!! This machine oviously doesn't like me, is it time to call someone in do you think?
    Many thanks for caring and for any advice!
    Linda:confused:

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

once you have selected all & it highlights the go to edit & click copy... come back here click the cursor down and hold the CTRL key & click on V at the same time

5. beach51

beach51

Hi Linda,before you call saomeone in lets try this.Go to Start>Run>type in msconfig>click ok.Click on startup>these are all the programs that start up.See if you have any of the following in there.

Netnet
    webhancer
    ezula main
    savenow
    gator

Should you have any,remove the check marks next to them,click apply,then ok,then reboot.If there is nothing like that in there,remove the check marks next to everything except.

Scan registry
    system tray
    load profile (2)
    anti virus program

Remove them 2 or 3 at a time,click apply then ok.Reboot and go back and remove a few more until just the four above remain.You will still have access to these programs,your not deleteing them,your just stoping them from starting up

Let us know if this helps.

6. cananyonehelpme

WOW!
    It worked, well you learn something new everyday. I did warn you that it is a lot didn't I. Well, it was made too long a message to add!
    I have actually got my PC booked in for a healthcheck now so I am hoping that they will sort all this out. I am terrified to touch anything as everything I do goes wrong. I have reinstalled the driver for the sound card and everything seems to be running well except the newsupd has come back. Thanks to Beach51 and Savvylady for all their wonderful help. I really don't know what I would do without people like you.
    I''l post back soon with my update!
    Linda :eek:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice