1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Is the Price of My Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackpot00, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackpot00

jackpot00 Thread Starter

I currently have an Alienware M14x laptop, it is not even 1yr old yet but i'm looking to sell it. Please give me ideas on how much I could get for it. Here are the details:

-Processor: 3rd Generation i7-2670QM processor
    -Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    -RAM: 6 GB
    -HDD: 750 GB
    -Graphics Card: Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO and is up to 300 MB
    -CD Drive: DVD RW
    -Also has a 14" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
    -Operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit
    -It has a webcam, HDMI, and bluetooth 4.0
    -Rated 5.9 on a scale of 1.0-7.9 (via Windows Experience Index)

Since I have no pictures to add I will add:

-it has a Stealth Black w/ soft touch finish
    -Screen is perfectly clean (just cleaned it myself)

The Computer runs just fine I just want a desktop. Also I wanted to add that I want to know what the price is BRAND NEW, considering that I might be able to get a new computer or at least all new parts through waranty. If you could add any insight it would be appreciated. Thanks Everyone.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Check similar items on eBay. Prices vary by region, and from buyer to buyer.

In any event, best case, 1/2 of the original purchase price.

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

plus computer people in the know will discount the Alienware
    name because it is put out by Del

4. jackpot00

jackpot00 Thread Starter

See I looked for similar computers but theones that are close are a few years old go for $1100, I paid $1700 for mine and I used a site to evaluate the price and it said my computer is currently worth $1406-$1453 and thats used, if I got it brand new it would be worth like $1500. Just wanted a few more opinions. Thanks for the help though.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Computer values drop a lot very quickly because the technology changes so much.

Personally I don't like Alienware because it is overpriced, but thats me, and this type of view on the Alienware name is spreading more and more since Dell bought them out.

What Graphics card is in yours, your list has wireless connection details listed against the graphic card?

Do the ones you have looked at actually go for $1100 or is that just the asking price, theres a big difference?

On UK Ebay there is one 4 months old and better spec than yours which is currently bid at £518 ($830 ish USD) and prices of these are higher in UK than US. As said, prices vary quite a lot between regions.

6. jackpot00

jackpot00 Thread Starter

Its a Killer Wireless-N graphics card I believe and then that one is selling for extremely low if it is 4 months old, but I am thinking I could probably get like $1400 for it brand new because the hardware is still the same stuff you get on alienware now so it isn't outdated just yet.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    The alienware is a gaming computer made by dell.Im sure someone will buy it that is looking for that type of computer .As to the price to ask for it just check to see what other similar ones are going for used and price it accordingly.If the price is fair you should have no problems selling it. computers unfortunately dont appreciate in value no matter how much they cost brand new even if they came with all of the latest gadgets on them.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, the 'Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO" is a wireless card not a graphics card: http://www.visiontek.com/products/gaming-network-cards/wireless-n-1202.html

The laptop will have an AMD Radeon or nVidia Geforce graphics card.

Also the "i7-2670QM processor" is a 2nd generation processor not a 3rd generation processor; a 3rd generation processor would start with a 3xxx instead of 2xxx; ie. i7-3670m.

If you are gonna attempt to ask such a large sum such as $1400 it's good to post the correct information in the ad/description for it.

Also, if it getting to be around a year old then it's gonna be out of warranty soon, warranty is very valuable for some people as repairing a laptop outside of warranty can be very costly.

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Not really true. Dell and Alienware make great computers for different groups of people. I know some computer literate / ex-professionals who just want a good PC and to never have to open a PC again after making a living doing it for a decade or two.

10. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Assuming a roughly 6850 grade GPU, I wouldn't expect more than $1000.

11. jamesx121

jamesx121

the main problem is difference between a Cadillac & a BMW.
    you would be very pissed if you found out your BMW came out of the Cadillac plant.

or is Rolex & a Timex a better comparison.
    both drive great & both tell time.:eek:
    very different expectations of on styling & quality /// cost :cool:

12. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Not really, at all. As long as it is a BMW and not a Cadillac rebadged as a BMW. But seeing as Dell doesn't really offer watercooled overclocked monsters...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1072189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice