1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the purpose of disk defragmenting?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobbyjonesrocks, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbyjonesrocks

bobbyjonesrocks Thread Starter

Jul 6, 2007

Not to brag, but I know enough about computers. Yet one of the things that I have never found was the purpose of disk defragmenting. I was wondering if anyone could put it in simple terms for me. Is it reliable? Is there any risk involved?

Thanks and happy holidays!
  2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

May 25, 2005
    Files can be stored in pieces all over your HD ... wherever Windows finds available space.
    Defragging organizes the pieces in one place .. so your HD doesn't have to look all over the HD to collect the Pieces/Parts

This speeds up the collection of files .. and your computer runs faster.
    Yes ... it's safe.

It's like reading a book at the library ... where the pages are all over the place ...
    wherever the librarian found a hole to stuff a page.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/665042