1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the purpose of dual network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bja1288, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bja1288

bja1288 Thread Starter

Just wondering how some of you use this function of some of the newer motherboards. Also, I just built a new system with a 250gb drive and when installing xp pro it only recognized 137gb, so I used Seagate Partition manager to give me a second partition that was about 100gb- is there any way to make the original boot partition larger? or am I stuck with 2 partitions which are 137 and 100.... Thanks!

2. nj12nets

nj12nets

what filesystem di you format with? how did you partition the drives? from the xp boot disc? if so you can set the partition size from available space. Now you could probalby use partition magic 8 and it would let you mmess around with the drive

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need a Windows XP CD with SP1 or SP2 to have an intial partition greater then 127GB.

You can make your own, here's how: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...nufactory=1317&SubCategory=72&Description=UPS

Or you can use something like Partition Magic to resize the partitions or merge them. But having two partitions is good for a basic backup, it can keep your data files seperate from your programs, which is good for when the operating system craps out.

Dual network cards aren't useful for most people. But some peopel use it share an internet connection or be part of two independent networks.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Dual nics can be used a number of ways -

1) You can set it up as a failover. 2) Some allow for shotgunning which increase its network throughput (this won't help any WAN situation) 3) You can use ICS or do some kind of bridge with them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice