1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the purpose of the Archives

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Toddles18, Jan 15, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. Toddles18

Toddles18 Thread Starter

What is the purpose of the Archives in the other forums. Like the win 9.x or the web and email forum?? I browse through it and see very old posts, and not even all of them are solved. I'm a bit confused about it. I was thinking maybe when a thread is solved that has been a popular problem has some really good information, or has a good discription on how to do something it should be placed there. Is that what it's purpose was?

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Maybe its a kind of data base for when you enter a search word:confused:

3. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

I would guess that the archives looks to be the place where they put the locked and resolved threads. They are probably only really looked at when they come up in a search.

4. RandyG

RandyG

I don't even believe they are used the way they were supposed to be anymore. Mikey used to have a premium on space, and didn't want to clog up[ the discussion boards with old, outdated posts, but also did not want to lose a store of potential fixes and gems.

I don't believe the original concept holds true anymore, and the last time anything was added to archives was back in 2001.

I do have another Question, and that is why is it possible to post in Archives??? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

5. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Looks like most of the threads are locked, but there are a couple of forums where none of the threads are locked, so it is possible to post there.
    It could be that we have found a use for Mulder...... at the very least closing all those archived threads out will definately keep him out of trouble for a while :cool: ;)

6. Toddles18

Toddles18 Thread Starter

my thoughts were to maybe re-instate the use of these archives. Perhaps when a thread is solved that has been a common problem, or has a nice walkthrough of the proccess to fix a problem it could be marked solved, and placed in the archives. On second thought though the search option of the site would still be faster........hmmmmmm I still think all solved threads should be placed there though.

7. RandyG

RandyG

I asked Mods to move this to Site Comments earlier. As soon as one comes on, I'm sure they will.

It definitely belongs there, as opposed to getting lost here in Random.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice