1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the safest way to replace a CMOS battery?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LadyBlahBlah, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LadyBlahBlah

LadyBlahBlah Thread Starter

Hi,
    Since around 3 days ago, I started having problems with the date and time on my computer. Yesterday when I started up my computer, it gave me a 'CMOS Checksum error - defaults loaded' screen and I had to press F1 to start up my computer. When the computer did boot, my date and time had been reset back to Midnight 1st January 2007. Turning on my computer today, I got the exact same error message and my date/time resetting.
    I can only assume the CMOS battery is either dead or dying.

I've watched some videos on YouTube and replacing it seems simple enough, but I'm a bit worried about damaging my motherboard. I'm still an amateur with computers and I've never done any physical work to one before. I've heard quite that static electricity can fry circuits in your motherboard and this had got me worried, lol. What would be the safest way of removing the CMOS battery without damaging anything?

I'm running a Windows Vista Desktop by the way.

Also, a bit off-topic, but will the computer just start as normal after replacing the battery and/or will I lose any kind of data?

2. bravo3Sgt

bravo3Sgt

Replace it as you would replace a normal AA battery. The computer will start just fine after replacing it.

3. C141

C141

Be sure to have your computer disconnected from AC power. It also doesn't hurt to press the power button on the computer to bleed down the capacitors.

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Do it on a table and not a carpeted floor. You can ground yourself to the case by resting your arm on it while replacing the battery. Following C141's advice is a always advisable too. Once you replace the battery and power up you will need to enter into BIOS and set the time and date to present plus any other custom settings you had.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice