1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the sequence that an application locate its required dlls?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by peterc, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterc

peterc Thread Starter

I want to know the sequence that an application locates its required dlls. I'm looking for more than just the DLL Search Order which is described in http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/dllproc/base/load_time_dynamic_linking.asp. I want to know for the following scenarios:

1. If a dll required by an app is already loaded by another app, what will happen? Does the app use the loaded dll or will locate the required dll based on DLL Search Order?

2. If dll/com redirection is used for an app, what will happen?

3. Does it make a difference for scenario #1 and #2 if the dll is a non-registered dll or registered dll?

4. Does it make a difference for scenario #1, #2, and #3 for the following OS: Windows 98 SE, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003?

Note: I will not use .manifest and .NET technology so those technology can be ignored. Also, I'm not the author of the required dlls. The required dlls are MS dlls and other vendor's dlls such as Crystal Reports.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice