1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is the upgrade edition?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bigk, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Assuming Vista is Like XP is not a good idea.... But wish it was more like it.
    As near as I can tell ... there is no "turn it off" control ...
    And you have to make a restore point manually.
    But I'm still learning.

I see no reason why this Basic "fresh install" would occupy 11.5 gig of space.

Attached Files:

2. Ol Sarge

Ol Sarge Guest

It's called "Bloatware" for good reason.:D

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I've seen this happen before with W-XP
    I've just cloned my Vista to a new partition ... and the 11 gig became 3 gig.
    Vista won't let me into the boot.ini to see if I can boot to the new partition.
    OH ... yes , I deleted the old.windows file that vista creates .. so that's not the problem.
    Will know more when another HD arrives next week.

4. bigk

bigk Thread Starter

Just out of curiosity what size did you get?

Bigk :)

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Size of what ??
    This is the Vista Home Premium .. loaded in a WD 250gb hd ... the second HD below.
    When I cloned D: (11.5gig) to the second partition L: - it became a reasonable size... (2.6gig)
    The cloned copy L: looks intact when Explored.
    When exploring .. I can't find any reason for D: being such a large... like there's something hidden.
    I've had this happen once before with XP .. Can't remember what I did to fix it... probably started with a reload.

I'm going to have to reinstall VHP anyway .. it refuses to let me install Photoshop.
    This may be circumstantial evidence .. but I've defraged VHP fom my XP OS ..
    twice - and weird things have happened.
    First time .. media player disappeared... but Photoshop was installed.
    Second time .. Photoshop says the install directory is invalid.

I'm not going to mess with it until I get another HD to work with .. should arrive about Wednesday.
    Then I won't have to keep reinstalling VHP ... I can just clone things around.
    BTW .. Acronis True Image won't work in my computer.
    The fact that my mobo supports raid .. prevents a normal ATI recovery.

Attached Files:

6. bigk

bigk Thread Starter

I was wondering what the size of the Hard drive you were going to get this Wednesday.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I prefer several HDs .. Instead on one huge one ..
    SATA 3GHz 250gig 16mb cache ... free shipping for a while ???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

I'll now have two for XP .. and two for Vista .. very good for backups ... and more.
    One always stays loaded with a fresh install ... then a total recovery is only about 5 minutes away.

8. wb4rt

wb4rt

You cannot do a clean install from the upgrade disk according to a MS Level 2 Tech. You have to format your HD using your XP, install XP, then upgrade to Vista. You do NOT have to be at XP SP2 eventhough the disks say you do.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can indeed do a clean install from an upgrade disk, the method is posted above.

10. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Actually, upgrading using the upgrade disk twice is faster than installing XP first. In fact, it's faster than installing XP once.

Courtney sends...

11. ClickCardo

ClickCardo

I hear if you install as a dual boot it deactivates your XP copy so if you have to re-install XP you cannot reactivate it? You could image, but what do you do if that fails?

Does anybody know for sure, having activated XP after activating an upgrade version of Vista?

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I've been playing with Vista on my XP computer... second HD.
    As far as I know .. I'm still activated with XP ...
    I will really be irritated if doing this kills my XP ... since I hate Vista.

How would I know ???

13. bigk

bigk Thread Starter

Is there any indication that windows: xp will deactivate by a certain time (For example: 30 days) since you dual boot with Windows: vista?

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    NO .. Not yet.
    But this in an HP OEM XP-MCE install .. It never asks for a product key.

I Depend heavily on the ability to be able to restore or repair my system via Cloning from a Master HD ... or the ability to pop in a Backup HD.
    And the ability to have a fresh "little used" second bootable HD installed internally for testing and keeping updated.
    Especially ... Since ATI doesn't seem to like Mobos that support Raid.

Looks like Vista will not allow multiple drives or cloning ... since it's tied to the HD.
    But this is a different topic ... http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/541349-vista-disk-imaging.html#post4420902

The More I play with Vista .. The more I love XP

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't see XP being de-activated, Microsoft has never had a n issue with people dual booting different versions of Windows on the same PC. However, as it should be obvious, if you upgrade XP to Vista then XP will dissappear.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!