1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is this air duct that gateway uses?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zergpc208, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

What is this air duct that gateway computers have by the front case? Okay is this some thing new?

[​IMG]

Anyone know what is a 6-bay micro uBTX case is ?Does gateway computers make custom case??

[​IMG]

Anyone know if model GM5045E is custom made by gateway :confused:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, Gateway are custom designed units just for Gateway. Same deal as Dells, HP's, Sony's, etc, they use custom designed cases as well.

The duct is just to improve airflow, many aftermarket cases have them too.

Oh and BTX is another forma factor, like ATX. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(computers)

3. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Both the case and motherboard are custom designed just for Gateway?

Okay what is the model of that motherboard and number?And you can only get that motherboard or case from Gateway:eek: You cannot go to computer shop and say I want that motherboard or case!! You have to call Gateway and get from them!!

Foxconn C51GU01 Motherboard ? Okay does Foxconn only make Motherboards for Gateway..What about model GM5045E ??

Well BTX is another forma factor that new and going to replace ATX forma factor ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(computers)

Okay anyone know what is dual channel DIMMs ?? And some one was saying there may be new one coming out? When Intel brings out the Pentium 5..

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its either made just for Gateway or its a retail board modified for Gateway use.

Each Gateway model has a different model of mainboard, some are very unique to Gateway while others have similar simblings that are offered by whoever designed the baord for Gateway. You will not find the same motherboard at any retail store.

Foxconn is a huge manufacturer that makes motherbaords under its own name and for many other companies like Gateway. They also make other computer products as well.

I have a Compaq here with an AM37 motherbaord thats made by FIC for Compaq, its nearly identical to FIC's own AM37 motherboard but the BIOS varies and the BIOS's cannot be interchanged. The version is modified only for Comapq use.

Thats to be seen, BTX hasn't taken off like expected and is considered by many to be a flop.

Dual Channel memory has been around for a while.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel
    It has been implemented with RDRAM, DDR, DDR2, and will likely continue to be used with the next generation of memory as well.

I doubt there will be a processor named the Pentium 5. We currently have the Pentium D and the Intel Core Solo and Duo names and its seems unlikely Intel would resurrect the Pentium 5 name for any future generation of processor.

5. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

What is better Foxconn motherboard or FIC motherboard .And both Foxconn and FIC make motherboards for gateway and Compaq?

What is the poit to doubles the data from the RAM to the memory controller.

Why becuse the memory controller only send or receive 64-bits of data at a time.

But in the old days it only send or receive 64-bits of data at a time now with Dual-channel the motherboard doubles data from RAM to the memory controller.So it is now 128 -bits of data at a time .If the motherboard supports Dual-channel..

Yes but what is the bandwidth potential? And the the speeds is 400 MHz and higher?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Depends on the model, there's too many variations to make a bold statement. There's lots of Companies that supply each big brand name systems. Its likely due to cost and the financial bottom line.

More memory bandwitdh equals better performance.

In dual channel it becomes 128 bit.

With Intel and older AMD processors its the chipset that must support Dual Channel. On the new AMD 64 processors the memory controller is integrated into the prcoessor.

Depends on the speed of the memory. PC3200 running at 400Mhz in single channel maxes out at 3200MB/s, in Dual Channel its 6400MB/s. Basically take the effective memory clock speed and times it by 8 to get the bandwitdh for single channel, and then times it by 2 to get the the bandwidth for dual channel.

7. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Here is what I found on it.

[​IMG]

8. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Well I was waiting for my pc to get fix I found ome terms needed to understand how dual-channel memory works.

Hay Triple6 I will reply to you the next day its 2 AM

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice