1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is this directory?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GordRocks, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I'm trying to clean up my hard drive and there is a directory named ea80b5fabc259 that I cannot for the life of me figure out the purpose of. It has a subfolder called sp2. If I click on sp2 in Explorer I get the message you can see here:

http://img110.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img110&image=warning9nt.jpg

I haven't been able to delete the directory or its subfolder. I tried doing it in safe mode and also tried using the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. Can anyone tell me what program may have put it there, what it's for and how to get rid of it? Thanks!

.....Gord

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Sounds like it might be the Temp directory where the subfolder for Windows XP Service Pack 2 was placed.

3. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Thanks! Does this mean I have to uninstall Service Pack 2 to get rid of it? If it's a TEMP directory why is it still there?

.....Gord

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's just temp files from a security patch. If you try to delete it, you may get an error that it can't be deleted. This isn't anything to be too concerned about. It's a bug with some Microsoft patches where they don't clean up after themselves. You could try some of the delete on boot utilities I've heard about here. Hopefully someone will come along and post a link.

5. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    A lot of programs/installs leave temp files/folders behind. I know they aren't supposed to but thats the way some of them work. No you will not have to remove SP2 (if that is indeed what it is as I suspect). You should be able to delete the directory unless it is actually in use at the time you try to remove it. Hence the error message that you get. My System Suite 5 will take care of these things for me. I just run the clean up section every couple of weeks and let it remove all the unnecessary files from my system. That string of numbers/letters should be under one of the temp directories and temp directories can be emptied. SP2 will not actually be in that directory, only the download files used to install SP2. I hope I am making myself clear on this, rereading this sounds ok to me but might not to someone else.

6. Aderon

Aderon Account Closed

Download the Pocket KillBox
    http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.exe

Run KillBox.exe.

Select the Delete on Reboot option.

In the Full Path of File to Delete field type in the directory of the file/folder.
    (You can also find the file/folder by clicking the button with the folder in it and browsing around for the file)

Once you have the file/folder entered in there click the red circle with the white X in it, when it asks you to reboot, click Yes.

7. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Aderon,

I tried it and it doesn't reboot. I get this dialog box:

[​IMG]

and then when I click OK it doesn't do anything. I also tried the Standard File Kill and got this box:

[​IMG]

Thanks anyway; am I just running it incorrectly?

alwrmc,

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is System Suite 5? Thanks for the help.

.....Gord

8. Telstar

Telstar

9. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Thanks, Telstar
    I appreciate the effort but this didn't work either. This is ridiculous!! I can't believe that it can be so difficult to delete a directory. I can't get into the folders to delete individual files, either. Does anyone have any other ideas? I can't seem to get into DOS to try some of the old DOS commands. Is that no longer available? I'm not willing to reformat my hard drive just to get rid of it - I just recently did that on another computer and it was not fun. Any other ideas, anyone?

.....Gord

10. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    System Suite 5 is an alternative to Norton System Works. I like it because it is (my opinion) as good as and I think, better than Norton. Less expensive and better integrated among its included utilities. It has received a number of accolades and "best buy" recommendations.
    http://www.v-com.com/product/SystemSuite_Home.html
    .....You have not indicated what your system specs are. I assume that you have checked the directory/files properties to see if they are read only. If so that would preclude their removal/deletion. Not sure why you cannot use a DOS prompt to get to the directory. Also there is always the option to just "leave it alone".

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot use a DOS program because it is WIndows XP and the file system will likely be NTFS, which DOS cannot read.

12. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

My system specs are now in my signature.

I did change the directory/files from read only but took a look to verify it and found that they are checked as read only (greyed out) and I can't seem to uncheck it. When I try it appears to allow me to apply the change but when I recheck it the greyed out check mark is back. Can't seem to get rid of it. Maybe I'll have to "leave it alone" as you said. But it really irritates me that a program will put something on my system that I can't get rid of. Thanks again.

.....Gord

13. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Thanks kiwiguy. I didn't realize that.

.....Gord

14. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    For Kiwiguy: Just curious as to your meaning on this one. I have XP Pro, NTFS and I can use the command prompt to remove files. What am I misunderstanding??

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A command prompt is not DOS. If you can't delete a file using Windows Explorer, then you probably can't delete it using the command prompt.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!