What IS this item that ZoneAlarm stopped??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gary R

My impression is that its Spyware. Any ideas/opinions??

====
The firewall has blocked Internet access to ad.doubleclick.net (206.xx.xx.xx) (HTTP) from your computer [TCP Flags: S].

User: unknown
Program: Internet Explorer
Time: 11/1/01 6:46:06 PM

====
I don't know if the numbers after 206 are my system's or not, so I put x's in their place when posting.... I have "Allow Server?" in Internet Explorer turned off -- it has the red X's.

You are correct-it is spyware. It is trying to call home to report your surfing habits. Next time check the box to remember your answer and "JUST SAY NO".

very common spyware site

have you tried ad aware to keep your system clean from those sites?

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

clean up your system, then delete the reference in ZA 0 in th emeantime, yes it should be XX out for permissions

also: if you use IE 6 you can identify which sites NOT to accept cookies from, a bit of a pain initially but after a bit, all the spyware sites are excluded from your cookie list

couldn't believe the first time i ran ad aware clean, no references

btw - since IE 6, i can count on one hand the number if IE crashes and goofy things happening, much more stable version

Gary R

Ok thanks for info re this spy. Far as I know -- & admittedly, I'm not sure what to look for to find any other spies that might be on the HD -- this is only spy I've picked up on this comp....
I've looked at AdAware a few times, & considered getting it but what worries me is that even tho' it makes a Registery backup, the Reg is so darn touchy from what I hear, that I'm a bit worried about using it.
If someone offered me $100 if I could tell them the command to look at the Reg. he'd keep the money :) -- I have never looked at the Reg. in this comp, or the old 200MHz. Pentium-Pro I had previously.
Far as making Reg. backups and/or Restores, I'm essentially clueless as to how its done :eek: There was somthing I think re backing up / restoring the W98SE Registery on this website, but can't find thread.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online