1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is this message?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chab, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chab

chab Thread Starter

Periodically this window opens with this message. Running XP Professional on Alienware P-4. Running McAfee Virus checker. When this message pops up, the McAfee icon in system tray becomes inactive (turns blue). Would appreciate any help.

This is Chuck, I was forced to use Chab because also have access to this site on another computer.

Thanks,

Chuck.

Attached Files:

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

I'd recommend downloading and installing the latest patches, updates, and new scanning engine from McAfee.

http://download.mcafee.com/

Look under the "Retail" section and you should find the necessary links. If you've already done this, AND you've downloaded all the latest updates for XP.....

Well....I'd uninstall McAfee and find something that works :eek:

Columbo

3. $teve

$teve

4. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116

I got the same box a few times to comtact microsoft about the problem. Don't worry, no reply back as usual. Posted 5 items on microsoft forum, no replys. I agree, if the above doesn't fix the problem, change from McAfee, it gave me problems when I started loading updates. Removed McAfee, got another firewall and antivirus and works fine.

5. chab

chab Thread Starter

Thank you all....I think that's what gonna happen. Exchange it for Norton....Or if anyone has an opinion they prefer.

Chuck.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

thats just the happy xp way of letting you know that the program crashed. Dont expect a reply from microsoft as you wont get one.

download the updates and if it doesn't fix then its time to figure out which program its conflicting with. uncheck everything in msconfig except macafee and then re-add them one by one until it crashes again..then you found your problem.

The other option is i guess to change. I prefer AVG myself since its free.

7. chab

chab Thread Starter

Free is good. Will try your suggestion first.

Thanks,

Chuck.

8. Idyllwild

Idyllwild

AVG is good, but doesn't update their definition files very frequently.

I recommend eTrust Antivirus from Computer Associates. It's not free, but annual updates are only $10.00 Runs very well with XP. It is updated almost daily, easily done from the notification area.
    They have excellent customer service as well if you ever need it.

Not recommended: Norton anything (evil software) leave it in the bin where it belongs. McAfee is also problematic. It is also very difficult to remove properly. There is a lot of junk to pull out of the registry that it leaves in.

9. chab

chab Thread Starter

You should see the complaints similar to mine on the McAfee forum. No apparent fix, at least that I could see. Doesn't make it much better the NAV.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!