1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is this Tracking Cookie in my system doing.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by flacokilo, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flacokilo

flacokilo Thread Starter

After i disconnect my internet i usually scan my system with Adaware to stay clean...but everytime it detects 2 files...both are tracking cookie "a.as-eu.falkag[2].txt" and "adserver.aim4media[1].txt"

is theri a way i can get rid of this 2 files from my system ...because this files are collecting information from my computer...
    well i'm pasting the log of this 2 files..

Vendor:Tracking Cookie
    Category:Data Miner
    Object Type:File
    Size:602 Bytes
    Location:c:\windows\cookies\m. jameel [email protected]ag[2].txt
    Last Activity:1-12-04 6:00:00 AM
    Risk LevelLow
    Comment:
    Description:This cookie is known to collect information that may be used either for targeted advertising, or tracking users across a particular website, such as page views or ad click-thrus.

Size:691 Bytes
    Location:c:\windows\cookies\m. jameel [email protected]4media[1].txt
    Risk LevelLow
    Comment:
    Description:This cookie is known to collect information that may be used either for targeted advertising, or tracking users across a particular website, such as page views or ad click-thrus.

2. flacokilo

flacokilo Thread Starter

I scanned my system again with adware...and now i have 3 more

Size:84 Bytes
    Location:c:\windows\cookies\m. jameel [email protected][1].txt
    Risk LevelLow
    Comment:

Size:154 Bytes
    Location:c:\windows\cookies\m. jameel [email protected][1].txt
    Risk LevelLow
    Comment:

Size:300 Bytes
    Location:c:\windows\cookies\m. jameel [email protected]ox[2].txt
    Risk LevelLow
    Comment:

3. Flrman1

Flrman1

That's normal. Do you have Spybot?

If you do you can use the "Immunize" feature to block most of those.

4. winchester73

winchester73

You could do this as a comprehensive solution ...

Install IE-SPYAD, a registry file that adds a long list of known "sites" to the Restricted Sites of your Internet Explorer: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

It includes those sites that are dropping the cookies, plus LOTS of others (in fact, it was updated today) ...

These two programs will also keep a lot of junk out:

SpywareBlaster v2.6.1 and SpywareGuard v2.2, to prevent Active-X drive-by installations, as well as provide real-time browser hijacking protection: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/index.html

5. britesun

britesun

Hey Ad-aware is great and when used in conjunction with spybot S&D and spyblaster you are very safe. However those tracking cookies can be tiresome here is how I deal with them.

copy and paste the following text into a blank notepad file and save as a *.bat file (e.g cookydel.bat)

cd \windows\cookies
    del *.txt

then goto your control panel and schedule a task that runs this file basically to suit you. I've set mine to run every 20 mins 24hrs a day.

Please note: make sure the first line reflects the path to your cookies folder. If your using winXP/2000 your first line should read as follows, cd \documents and settings\%username%\cookies.

This deletes all the cookies in your cookies folder

I hope this helps, perhaps?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/194764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice