1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is TPM??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by polsid, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. polsid

polsid Thread Starter

When i boot my system i get a wierd errror which reads ->

TCG error :TPM initialization failed

Then i tried entering setup and disabling TPM it still pops the same error.
    On entering the setup again i see that TPM state shows : NO CHANGE eventhough i have disabled it and save the changes and rebooted.I really dont get this .So help is MUCH appreciated!!!!:confused:

2. polsid

polsid Thread Starter

Hi guys ,
    i have this weird error message on bootup
    TCG error : TPM initializatin failed

Press F1 to resume

when i hit F1 everything works out fine and i absolutely dont face any problem with any function of my pc.Its jus annoying to press F1 every single time on bootup.Help is much appreciated!!!Thank you.

3. mattyc

mattyc

4. Glitchy81

Glitchy81

If you can elaborate what TCG is, then maybe I can help you.

5. Glitchy81

Glitchy81

Hmm, interesting. I'm going to say, is there anything trying to access your kernal? That could be the problem. Perhaps it's a virus. But don't quote me on that. Anyway, I might say that...if you can't fix it, and in an extreme situation, I would do a clean install. That would help it.

6. polsid

polsid Thread Starter

Thanks again....but jus one last question ....since this problem doesnt hamper my system performance and i have jus scanned the system for viruses and spywares with a negative result .....:) can i jus leave it alone for the time being or do ya suggest immediate action...and if so can i do a clean install from the back provided oe one of the drives or do i need a retail vista dvd.Thank you for your help.:)

7. polsid

polsid Thread Starter

TCG->Trusted computing group developers of TPM(trusted platform module)

8. jos-kohn

jos-kohn

yes, you can leave it alone for the time being!!! - unless you explicitly want to use it.
    The TPM is a totally optional device; you can activate and enable it in the BIOS to take advantage of it - but it is not a must.

Your symptoms are pointing towards 2 possible rootcauses:
    - either an incorrect BIOS implementation to support the TPM:
    if you went to the BIOS, tried to disable/deactivate it - but after saving the settings it didn't change, this could be a poor BIOS implementation...

- or: it is simply the TPM HW itself that is the problem (defect)

Which Computer do you have? which TPM manufacturer is it? Which TSS Software-Stack is running on your computer (if at all...) ?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!