1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is up with !!Zome Alarm!!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Nova_Wind, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind Thread Starter

Ok, this is starting to really get on my nerves. I noticed that whenever I close ZA to do scan disk after boot up, and reopen it again, i get this "System Error: Please Reboot" message on my ZA menue. Look at picture. And an yellow X replaces the ZA icon in the system tray. What is up with this? It turns back to normal after i reboot, and i wanna know what causes it to happen?

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    This is just my personal opinion, based on my experience... others may wish to disagree. I found Zone Alarm an absolute pain in the rectum. I experienced the frustrations you are having and more. I finally uninstalled it and replaced it with kerio. This too is free and I find it excellent. It is effective and (unlike Zone Alarm), unobtrusive. Try it; I think you will agree.
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

4. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind Thread Starter

I came to the conclusion that this happens when you try to run a scandisk while ZA is either on or off, it doesn't matter. But i still dont know WHY scandisk would cause such a thing to happen.

5. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    ScanDisk will constantly restart if other things are running in the background, and Zone Alarm seems to keep running regardless of what you do, leastways that was my experience.
    To run Scan Disk without this problem always do it in safe mode.

6. hewee

hewee

Do you have ZA set to load at startup? Had trouble like that with the vector making errors if I started ZA on my own after startup. But the vector needs to load at startup so best to have ZA load at startup.
    I have closed ZA down and opened it back up when installing programs and it works ok. I can scan and defrag with it running too.
    Have cable now and to keep defrag from starting ove I put the modem in standby.

7. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind Thread Starter

Hewee,

I do have vector checked to load at start up. I have no problem installing programs on my computer with ZA is on, just the one i mentioned above. Have u tried scanning your C drive with "Scandisk" tool and checking if the error i mentioed in the first post happens to you to?

8. hewee

hewee

I don't use the windows to scan or defrag but use Norton's and I don't have any trouble.

But I have ZA pro.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks

10. hewee

hewee

Your welcome
    Can't you scan with ZA running?

I hope you get things fixed.

11. Nova_Wind

Nova_Wind Thread Starter

Hewee, i cant "scandisk" while ZA is on. It just keeps restarting and never finishes.

12. hewee

hewee

Did you try the link Rollin posted?

Maybe you can try out Norton's Disk Doctor. (It is the scandisk)
    I have norton system works and you can run it and some other of there programs from the CD. Don't know if they have to been installed first but I don't think so.
    I just did a scan with Disk Doctor and all went will and I did not close anything down. Only thing is if you have errors that you want to fix you don't have the undo when you run it from the CD. But I have never used an undo in what it has fixed anyway.

But maybe you have a friend that has Nortons and you can try it out to see if it works. Then if you like it go and get your own.
    To get to it just put the CD in and open it up and your see a " Ncdstart" file. Click it and then pick " Launch Utilities from CD ".
    Maybe your have a friend with a old copy that you can get for free too. :)

13. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    Your problem starting ScasDisk is probably due to other programs running in the background. It is a common problem and may not be caused by just ZA. Try starting in Safe Mode. It should run fine then. (Hold down the <Ctrl> key when you boot to enter Safe Mode. If that doesn't work then try again and tap <F2> repeatedly as you boot.)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice