1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Is Using My Disk Space?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pb3046, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

My old laptop has 4GB. I defragmented the C disk several times over the last couple of year. Now the used disk space has crept up to nearly that, leaving only 200-300MB at any one time. I have nothing unusual as far as programs go, and I do not have a media player or anything like that hooked up - just the basics. I have moved as many documents as possible to the D disk, and also as attachments on my Hotmail account.

At 200-300MB, there is no ability to defragment.

I use a CCleaner, and Eusing Registry Cleaner regularly. Wher

2. NICK G

NICK G Banned

A 4GB system drive is mighty small for these days of huge apps and programs.
    Try a search on files >1GB or maybe >500MB.
    My pagefile.sys is 1.3GB and is the largest file I have. I have no videos or other large files.
    See what you may have. Look at how may restore points you use. That can be trimmed.
    Think about increasing the size of your system hard drive to a larger one.
    You are close to total system failure unless all your apps are done on another drive including
    system restore as that needs 200 MB space available. SR will erase data to maintain latest point.
    You will start having messages of 'low disk space' falling below 200 MB free space.:)

3. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

hi,
    is 4gb the actual size of your hard disk or just your C drive?

4. Diver--13

Diver--13 It's My Birthday!

Do you have a partion of your hard drive that is unallocated?

5. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

4gb is the size of my C drive. I have a 789 MB D drive that I shift most everything to when I am finished with it. I sill have 723 MB left there.

"Do you have a partion of your hard drive that is unallocated?" I don't know - how do I find out?

I searched for files over 400KB - Boy! I have a lot of application extensions, some for things I do not use, for example Yahoo Messenger, Office, Gaming, Pinball, Outlook Express. I also see some setup extensions. I have no $NTuninstall files on my computer.

Anything I can safely delete?

Thanks, guys!

6. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

Hi,
    1. go to control panel>add/remove programs . try uninstalling your unused programs from there. if you just delete files at random without knowing for sure what they do, you'll end up killing your OS.
    2.go to Start>run. in the field that pop up type "dxdiag". under "system information" see the line with "pagefile : xxx mb used, xxx mb available" if the sum of "used" and "available" is more then 1gb (i.e 1000mb), consider lowering your virtual memory allocation(ask again if you don't know how to do this)

7. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

Page file has 253 MB used, 54 MB available. Sometimes I get a notice where my Virtual Memory is being increased, but that is still way under 1GB.

I have no programs on my Add/Remove programs that I do not use. I do not have Yahoo Messenger, Outlook Express, etc. on that page. I have done all I can do on that page.

You sound knowledgeable, any other ideas I might use?

Thanks!

8. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

Hi pb,
    looks like thats all i have, you could disable system restore, delete restore points but i can't really recommend that to you since you never know when you're gonna need SR.

you can search for any particularly large files say up and above 1gb and see if you can identify what it is. other then that, empty your recycle bin and think about investing on a larger HDD, 4 gb is pretty small for winxp to work around.

sorry couldn't be much help.

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I wouldn't recommend disabling System Restore. That's like being on a high wire without a net!

But, you can reduce the size allocated to something in the 800MB range. That should allow for 3-4 checkpoints.
    Also, go to IE > Tools > Internet Options and change the size of the Temporary Internet Files to around 15MBs.
    Select your Recycle Bin, Right mouse, properties and change the size to something "reasonable". IE A size that allows you to keep however many files that you need in the bin before permanent deletion.

"I have no $NTuninstall files on my computer."
    You have already deleted/moved these files?

Are you running Outlook Express?
    Have you moved the OE files to the other partition?

Have you moved your TEMP folder to the other partition? Or at least delete all these temp file regularly?

BTW Stop running that Registry Cleaner before it does something silly and kills your PC. There is no benefit to running Reg Cleaners.

10. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

OK, let me see if I can answer you one by one so maybe you can help me. I empty my recycle bin every 2-3 days, mostly with the CCleaner.

The $NTuninstall files - I went into check and I did not have any. I did that through search, including hidden files.

I rarely use IE. I have much more luck with Mozilla Firefox, and I am very used to it.

I have never used Outlook Express. I prefer just to use hotmail and yahoo for my mail boxes

I do delete the temp files every 2-3 days, through disk cleanup. I think it holds 32MB; tell me how to make it smaller and I can do that.

I have never heard that about registry cleaners. Can you tell me more?

11. pb3046

pb3046 Thread Starter

PS - I would not delete System Restore either - it has saved my butt a couple of times. But I did delete all but the last restore point.

I am now up to 466MB free space on disk C, but I need to get about 700 to defragment.

12. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Go to My Computer or Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
    Select "display the contents of System Folders"
    Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
    UNselect "Hide protected operating system files"
    OK your way out.

Then, browse to \Windows
    Any $NTInstallKBxxxxxx folders now?

Do a search for Registry Cleaners here.
    They do more damage than good, and at the end of the day, peform no useful purpose. Contrary to the hype on their web pages.

13. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Unless you know well how to use a reg cleaner, DON'T!!
    My Restore Point is set for 5% (way below nominal) and that is almost 4GB there.
    I hate to say again, you really need a larger drive in there. 80-120GB drives are cheap.
    If your second drive is considerably larger, think of using that and get rid of that 4GB drive.
    You will constantly be redirecting data from c: to x: (whatever):)

14. Diver--13

Diver--13 It's My Birthday!

sorry to be late to reply but unallocted means a portion (not to be confused with partition) that is raw wich is there but isn't formatted. When you install an OS from scratch sometimes something messes up and a small portion is left unallocated when it's formated. it's rare but it's happened to me and my buddy once. It wasn't any bigger than a half of a gig but still.

Hope that makes sence to you. Tried to be as less confusing as possible

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!