1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is using my internet?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by digitized, Dec 6, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. digitized

digitized Thread Starter

I'm on a limited internet plan and noticed the data is really getting used way too much for what I'm doing, it doesn't make sense.

Could it be I have a rogue data-mining malware on my PC? Should I post this in the Security forum?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Never heard of a class of malware called 'data-mining'. Data mining is used to describe really big customer databases, like for example those Macy's would have. And the company uses it to find really popular merchandize, and other unknown characteristics of their customers.

Are you using Windows 10 ? MS collects your usage and sends a lot of things back to headquarters. If you look at Start > Settings > Privacy, you will see what they collect and allow you to turn them off. Most of the data is used to benefit Cortana to help you, but some people don't like it.

Do you use bittorrent? It shares out all that you downloaded, meaning other users are downloading off your PC. It could generate a lot of network traffic.

3. TOGG

TOGG

digitized is probably thinking about bitcoin miners as there's been a lot of publicity about them recently. I assume such software would be sophisticated enough to check if it was on a limited bandwith machine and uninstall itself if it was.

4. digitized

digitized Thread Starter

@TOGG yes, bitcoin miners. But my internet doesn't have a bandwidth limit, it has a data cap limit. It is 4G high speed internet but there is a 10GB data limit.

5. TOGG

TOGG

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't think crypto-miners will generate a lot of traffic. Because it takes a long while to mine 1 bitcoin. And, it will be upload traffic it uses, not download. It is precisely because it takes a long time to mine bitcoins that the attacker wants to infect lots of computers.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Back to topic:

You are mentioning 4G and 10GB limit, i assume you are talking about cell phone plan that you are using as a hotspot?

8. digitized

digitized Thread Starter

No, I use a Sprint USB modem for internet service. I don't have Cable.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, so you are using a USB device that connects to the Sprint Network.

Do you have any peer to peer programs like uTorrent, or do you view a lot of videos? What is your day to day usage? Does Sprint give you any information on what days are using the data, and how much?

Windows just had a bunch of updates, so that may add to the usage.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice