1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is wake on LAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plschwartz, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

This is kind of a retro question. I want to turn an old box into a linux server using an old system for a dial-up network. The most retro would be an Abit px5 MB with a 133 Cyrix which still works fine! Second choice is a Gigabyte GA-5AA with an AMD 380. which I still consider a functional back-up system. However since the server must be turned whenever the network is up, so I want to think green and let the server suspend and turn on with a network request. The Abit board in the power management Bios section has a "break event from Suspend: Supportt ACPI RTC alarm function (viaIRQ8). I would love this to mean that If I can get a Lan card to work on IRQ8 (itself a big if) then a lan call would unSuspend the system, fulfilling my need.
    The newer GA-5AA board has a Wake on Lan connection and a soft-off jumper. The Power management section of the Bios instruction has a "LAN/Modem Ring on : Enabled Enablee Ring Resume from Soft Off Function" For Soft Off in the Power Button Function "Suspend: Set Power Button Function to Delay 4sec"
    Or the default Soft Off.

I must say these were all things I always went right by. For this latter board can I use the settings to get a Lan call to wake up the board And which Soft Off setting would I use?

2. brianF

brianF

3. active95

active95

Basically a Wake up on LAN works like this.
    On a typical network ( as in small to medium size business) an IT adninistrator doesn't need to get his butt off from the main computer in order to turn a certain computer on. Since the computer is connected to the lan thru a network card , sending a "special network signal" will acctually turn the that computer on.
    Now both Intel and AMD have software which work with Wake on Lan, but there are couple of things needed beside that .
    1. A motherboard with a wake up on lan capability
    2. A network card which supports that.
    3. A special cable that connects from the network card to the motherboard.
    Now bad news is the fact that you will not be able to use the IRQ 8 . That is reserved for the system clock and it's not "shareable"
    About those settings in BIOS. It sounds more likely that the machine will wake up upon receving a signal via modem not LAN. See if you happen to have this options: " Resume by LAN"
    HTH

4. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

Thanks BrianF and Active 95. The problem with realityt is that it interfers with your best fantisies.
    I'll have to figure out another work-around
    Paul

5. chewie1012

chewie1012

I have a small network in my home. I would like to figure out how to use the WOL. What is the signal you send? I have xp home on one computer and xp pro on the other. I don't have necessarily a wol lan card but could change it out.
    Thanks
    Jerry

6. terryf1960

terryf1960

<i>Now bad news is the fact that you will not be able to use the IRQ 8 . That is reserved for the system clock and it's not "shareable</i>

Actually the system timer is IRQ 0.

7. chewie1012

chewie1012

Then how does anyone use it?

8. terryf1960

terryf1960

I have never had to implement WOL but I do know that it wouldn't have anything to do with an IRQ. Teh special signal that is sent is called a magic packet. I'll do some research on it when I get to work tommorow and see if I can't have a better answer for you.

9. chewie1012

chewie1012

I did a little research last night and couldn't find the answer.
    Thanks
    Jerry

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!