1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is wrong with my new pc build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blakeyboy90, Feb 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. blakeyboy90

blakeyboy90 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

So I recently went on a bit of an upgrade spree and have now dug myself into a hole with a machine I cannot get working.

I'll start by listing the relevant parts along with whether they are newly upgraded or parts from my old machine:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite LGA 1151 DDR4 ATX \*NEW\*

CPU: i5 9600k 3.7Ghz \*NEW\*

PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W Gold \*OLD\*

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz \*NEW\*

GPU: 1080ti \*OLD\*

Fan: Not 100% certain as was given to me by a friend but looks like: Corsair Hydro Series H110

So what is happening is that I flick on the PSU and I get the Mobo flash for a split second and then nothing. I've removed the RAM, GFX, Drives with the same result. As far as my admittedly limited knowledge of hardware can tell everything looks inserted correctly. My old setup with the PSU worked fine so I'm not convinced that will be the issue. I'll put in a google drive link below with some photos and a video of what is happening. (Excuse the cabling but with it's current state it's not a priorty atm!)

If anyone can spot an incorrect cabling or miss matched components etc please let me know as I'm tearing my hair out over this!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RqrXsDrPXYMg55HM8

If there's any other info I can share that might help please let me know.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read the guide at the top of the h/w forum for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.

Next in one of the pics, I see unused motherboard standoffs. When I see this, it makes me think you did not fit the board to the case correctly. When you install a new board it a case, you remove ALL standoffs. Place the board in the case and mark the case with a pencil, sharpie, whatever where you need to install standoffs. Remove the board and install the standoffs in the holes marked ONLY. Install the IO plate and place the board in the case. Slide into the IO plate and secure with the case screws.

Common errors for new builders;
    1 Aux pw connector not plugged in. In your pic, it appears that the aux pw is connected
    2 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs [this is what I would suspect first]
    3 Bent pin on motherboard cpu socket
    4 Parts not fully seated ie ram, video, etc
    5 Parts not compatible [not a problem in this case]

3. blakeyboy90

blakeyboy90 Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I re-seated the mobo correctly in position with the standoffs this time but unfortunately it's doing the exact same thing. I'm wondering if me not having the board resting on the standoff initially has tried it.

However if that was the case would the board light up at all like shown in the video?​

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you did not have the board installed correctly, most definitely you could have fried the board. If a solder trace contacts ground ie the motherboard tray, standoff, whatever, it most likely fries the board [or at least what the trace supplies]

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you done the out of case build outlined in the guide? If not, do so.

I am off to work; good luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice