1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is wrong with my RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lawsonmorton, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lawsonmorton

lawsonmorton Thread Starter

I have a 1600+ Atlon Processor on a Soyo SY-K7VEMPRO v1.0 motherboard and I am trying to use 256 mb of RAM, 2 sticks of 128 mb each of Ultra u10-1517 133 mhz. With one stick of 128mb the computer will boot ok. However, with 2 sticks of Ram , if Quick Power On Self Test is disabled the computer will freeze when checking memory. But if Quick Power on Self Test is enabled the computer will boot ok with the 2 sticks of RAM. If I am using the two sticks of RAM, the computer seems to have a tendency to crash, when it is doing high speed processing, such as installing Office XP.

Any ideas in dealing with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. active95

active95

Couple of ideeas...
    1. BIOS update ( if you already done it , then disregard.. :D )
    2. Try different banks... For instance , bank 2 and 3 , or 1 and 3
    3. If you messed with the RAM timmings in BIOS , higher then CAS ( from 2 to 3 )
    4. Increase the DDR ram voltage , from 2.5 to 2.6 V etc...
    HTH

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Bad stick of memory?

4. mobo

mobo

5. lawsonmorton

Hey Guys, I've done a mem test but I used mem doc. No problems detected. However, by making one little change in bios, that is changing the SDRAM Cycle Length from 3 to 2 the computer with two sticks of RAM does the memory test and boot, and does not freeze. The only problem is that the System Management BIOS is reporting that there is 512 MB of RAM, but Windows reports that 248 MB is available. It is supposed to be 256mb.

My bios manual is located here: http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/se...Athlon+XP,+T-Bird,+Duron&col2=210&col3=Manual

Does anyone know if this discrepancy would cause a problem? Is there anything I can do to rectify this problem or should I just leave it alone, once it does not affect the stability of the system.

6. mobo

mobo

Perhaps windows means that the system is using approx 260 mb and 248 is unused. Check that again.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the BIOS show 512MB or 256MB or 128mb?

Do you have onboard Video by chance?

Try going to RUN -> MSCONFIG, I think its under Advanced, there's an option to limit the RAM to a specific amount.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Video pulling 8 megs?

9. lawsonmorton

Well I was wrong. It seems the bios is picking up 248mb while the windows is reporting 512mb. Pc- pitstop was giving me the information in error. I used it to check my system for problems but it does not find anything. However, I would tend to agree with AcaCandy. That is, that the 8mb is used by video. However, I am giving up on my memory problem, with the change that I made in bios by changing the SDRAM cycle length from 3 to 2, the computer is more unstable. It now shuts down by just being on. So I will switch back to 3 in an effort to get some stability.

These types of unexpected crashes are the hardest things to trouble shoot. Because it is hard for you to identify the source. Pc-pitstop has done a complete check of the hardware components and has found no problems, even with my memory. So maybe the problem is software. This is all Microsoft gives me when I send a report on the error :” A device driver installed on your system caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause.” But I can’t bear to reformat my hard drive anymore, I don’t think it could take anymore. So I want to know if there are any programs that might help me diagnose my problem if it happens to be software.

But for now I will just run it and check to see if it remains stable, since I switched back the SDRAM cycle length from 2 to 3

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It stills sounds like one stick of RAM is fualty. Have you tried running it with just one stick in the computer? Generally the easiest and best test.

11. lawsonmorton

Yes. I have two sdram slots on the board and 2 stick of mem, I have used each stick in each slot by itself. However, it seemed that with one stick the computer runs without crashing. So now I am thinks it might be a configuration issue or maybe I need to flash the bios or something. I am leaning towards just running it on 1 stick of 128 mb.

12. lawsonmorton

What I tried earlier did not work, which was switching back the SDRAM cycle length from 2 to 3. It did not make it more stable. It still was crashing. So now I am just going to run it on one stick of 128 and check its performance.

13. hammerbill

hammerbill

Is this memory a recommended kind? I've had similar problems but not quite like this. I'm thinking maby a memory density discrepency. but thats just a wild guess.
    I am currently having problems with a video card that simply doesn't like a motherboard. Even with both card and board replaced with identical new ones along with all other componants, it crashes and shuts off. The point is that some computer (brands) parts just don't like other parts. Look on your board manufacturer's site or your manual for a recommended brand of memory and buy that. Put the old chips on ebay or something.
    By the way, do you have parity checking set to it's appropriate setting as per the modules?

14. lawsonmorton

The memory I am using is not recommended, but I didn't know that this would be the cause of problems.

How do you check the parity setting?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice