1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is your thought on windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zergpc208, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Is windows 8 better than windows 7?

What about internet security and malware or hackers with windows 8?

What about windows 10 any update on it?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

No one knows about W8 yet .. Wait about 2 years.
    I didn't like Vista .. M$ removed some of my favorite tools.
    W7 Removed even more .. So I think I see a trend.
    I'll probably still be using XP if I have any serious work to do.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Yeah, in 2014, when XP expires, I'll move to Linux!

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I don't think XP will drop dead .. By then M$ might have it all fixed.
    So what if I can't get updates .. It ain't broke now .. And I refuse to install SP3
    As near as I can tell .. it's faster than W7

5. Phantom010

I just can't stand all the security crap from Windows 7 and Vista! (Permissions to do this, permissions to do that... geez!)

6. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

What do you mean?

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I just checked the W8 Forum.
    Everybody's guessing that the Beta version will be available around the end of this year.

He's probably disabled the UAC .. (user annoyance control) .. I think he's referring to all the extra questions .. (Do you really want to to do this)

8. Phantom010

The UAC, among other things...

You always need permission to use your own computer. :D

How many members here have been locked out of their computers or programs... :rolleyes:

Read my computer specs... :D

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I read somewhere that W8 will have to visually recognize you before you can use it.
    Does this mean I have to comb my hair in the morning before I logon.
    [​IMG]

10. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Some of this is to stop malware and system changes by users who do not know what they are doing.But some one can allow this and still mess up your computer.

When UAC comes up only allow this if you know what you doing.

11. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

I don't care who you are, that's funny! (Larry the Cable Guy) :D

I would install XP Pro sp3 in a heart beat if I could find all the drivers for the hardware in this Dell PC.
    Maybe they should call Windows 8, Windows 8 Ball. LOL

Jim

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

That was my first thought when I read that ....
    But I can see that facial recognition might be better than a finger print reader for security.
    Or is it ????

When I picked out my newest computer .. It was because I found the XP drivers before I bought it.

13. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

It not so much microsoft it is the hardware maker that have to make drivers.It was not windows vista that was problem but the hardware makers not bringing out drivers for windows vista.That why windows vista did not work with most hardware.

Plus bad software not made for windows vista did not help too.

14. adanedhel728

adanedhel728

I wasn't aware that there was already talk of Windows 8. I've been very pleased with Windows 7 for the most part, but I find myself moving more towards Linux. But I'm torn between Linux and Windows: Linux is simultaneously more limited and less restricted. More limited in that so few companies are willing to make drivers or software for it (don't speak to me of Wine; it's useless), but less restricted in that you don't have to follow so many stupid rules (like licensing nonsense). For that reason, I'm beginning to think that by the time Windows 8 comes around, I'll probably be too frustrated with the restrictions to use it, and I'll probably be more willing to give up the advantages (dvd playback, Netflix streaming, tv tuners, dvd rippers) and go strictly Linux than give in to the restrictions.

At the moment my main machine is dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows 7, mostly using Ubuntu but sometimes needing to run Adobe CS3, and I have one old laptop running XP that I'm mainly using for media (Netflix, etc.), and my other laptop that I bring to school is running Ubuntu.

Windows is still a necessity, but I grow frustrated with being told what I can't do.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

I like Vista and 7 very much. I think they are by far the best operating systems ever produced so far and the kernel is very stable. I wouldn't go back to XP for anything (nor would I buy a Model-T for daily commutes :D).

No problems with permissions that I can see.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978710