1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What jumper settings for CDR/DVD-CDROM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Michael Shortt, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Michael Shortt

Michael Shortt Thread Starter

Hello again,

I'm experiencing a problem with a 200mhz computer running win95. I just installed a 5400 rpm, 18(20) gig WD hard drive as the only device on the cable, and a DVD/CD-R drive as the slave on another cable using the CD ROM drive as a master.

After Reinstalling win95 on the hard drive and REPLACING THE AUDIO CABLE (WHICH WAS ATTACHED TO THE MODEM, and CONNECTED TO THE CD-ROM DRIVE) WITH A DIFFERENT AUDIO CABLE that had 2 plugs (one for each CD drive), I tried to have windows auto detect my modem. It couldn't find one, even though it is obviously still there.

Does this have anything to do with replacing the audio cable? I'm thinking about installing Win98 over Win95, but would like to know if there is anything I should do beforehand to prevent any further problems.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

In Win95, some modems have to be manually installed. Do you have the disk that came with the modem?

3. Michael Shortt

The first time Win95 was installed, it autodetected the same modem. And for some reason this time win95 didn't even have a standard selection for anything above 28.8kbs. Is it because it had an upgrade after that, maybe that allowed the modem to be detected? Do you know if what I did with the audio cable is correct? I mean, just replacing one cable with another that has two ends for the CD driveS?

thanks for the help !

4. ~Candy~

What had an upgrade? The modem? or the operating system?

Is the sound working on both drives?

5. Michael Shortt

The operating system had the upgrade.

I'm not sure if the audio is working on both. The modem is an IBM Mwave 33.6kps. There are two female connectors on the board. I placed the new audio cable male piece into the same female connector that the original cable was in. I then put the two other male connectors into the female slots on both CD and CDR drives.

6. Michael Shortt

I just put Win98 on the same computer, but now I'm having the following problem:

When I try to dial from a Dial-up connection, the computer can't detect the modem.

The driver for the modem installed is comm.drv, and it lists the modem as an OEM Mfg. 33.6 Data Fax VOD Modem, not IBM MWave 33.6 modem.

I tried removing all comm ports from the SYSTEM file in the Control panel and the modem from MODEM in the Control panel. I restarted the computer letting Win98 Autodetect the modem and comm ports again.

From the accessories file in the start menu I tried to run a test on the modem and I got an Error 630 message- no response from modem. I checked and rechecked the connections and it still doesn't work. It worked just fine when I had Win95 installed.

Also, I noticed that in the Control panel/system section that there were only two comm ports detected, i.e. 1 & 2, whereas in the control panel/modem section, the modem was listed as being on comm port 3.

Ugh! I'm sorry for such a lengthy explaination, but I only hope it will diminish any chance of being too vague again.

thanks for you time guys! (Or girls respectively)

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi

I think you will need to find the correct driver to get your modem to work. It sounds like windows has just picked a generic driver. The correct driver should be on a floppy disk that you recieved with the modem or you may be able to find the modem driver online. (Drivers.com) Do you have anything hooked to your motherboards serial ports? If not turn off both com ports in setup as they may be interfering with your modems port.

8. ~Candy~

In the control panel, modems, diagnostics, select the modem and then more info....what shows up there?

Don't worry about com 3 not showing up in the device manager.

9. jakoval

jakoval

For more info on working with an Mwave, check out Don5408's Unofficial Aptiva site.

(BTW - you're generally better off adding a reply to the original thread to bring it up, rather than cluttering the board by starting a new one.)

10. Michael Shortt

Your link takes me to a list of Aptiva related software and drivers.

The computer is an Acer Aspire, and has been upgraded to Win98. The drivers listed seem to be Win95 specific. Is there any comprehensive list of drivers for this type of modem?

I would really appreciate any advice on setting up a CD Rom drive as a master to a Ricoh CDR/DVD player. And I still can't figure out if what I did with the audio cable was correct.

???

help?

11. jakoval

jakoval

A lot of Aptivas are Acers in disguise - same motherboards and other hardware just different logo. There is a link on that site to using MWave in Win98.
    You can also have a look on Acer's Support page; lots of info there including this article. Use the Search function or the FAQ's for your model.
    As far as your audio cable goes, I would probably just use the original audio cable connected to one or the other - most likely the newer DVD/CDR drive

12. Michael Shortt

I have a 9060 Ricoh Combination CD-R/DVD drive that I want to put on the same cable as a generic (XX don't know) CD-Rom drive. Does anyone know of the correct jumper settings for this? I've tried finding help on, around, near Ricoh, and they seem to be just about as helpful as Acer's website is, if you catch my drift.

Also, I brought this up once before, but do I *NEED* to have an audio cable that plugs into both CD drives and into my sound card? I have one that *CAN* but I'm not sure if the mwave modem I have can handle that.

BTW, any good contacts for SIMPLE TO INSTALL mwave drivers?

tanks guys

13. ~Candy~

Try the DVD as master and the cdrom as slave....if that doesn't fly, then reverse them.

What do you have on the hard drive as slave? If nothing, I'd put the cdrom on as slave with the hard drive and put the DVD as master by itself.

On the drive itself there should be some small letters, like SL MA CS.....those are the places where the pins are placed....the SL makes it slave, MA makes it mastr, and CS (cable select) usually isn't used in many cases.

Also, I'm going to merge this thread with your other thread since it really deals with the same issues.....

Keep posting to this thread instead of starting a new one if the issues are the same.

14. Rikku

Rikku

michael,

the settings for the jumpers should be marked on the drive ... are they not?

It might be Slave/Master or SL/MA or something similar, but they should BE there.

They will either be on top of the drive, right above the jumpers or underneath the drive lined up with the jumpers to tell you which jumper is which.

Set the Combo drive as Master (MA) and the regular CDROM as Slave (SL) and you should be all set!

You only need to plug an audio cable into the drive that you want to play music CD's from... (or games with music tracks).

15. Michael Shortt

Your help is greatly appreciated everyone!

I just don't know if I can get the drivers to work. Does anyone know of anyplace I could find files from the Acer First Aid Kit disc? I would much rather just get the driver from the original package and use that. I just don't have the disc any more.

hrmpf!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice