1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What kind of broadband should I get?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jakesp, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

Hi

I'm considering upgrading my dial-up connection to broadband and was wondering which speed to go for 512 or 1mb. I may play some games online - will the slower speed have much of an effect?

Thanks

Jake

2. joe2cool

joe2cool

I'd go for 1Mb.............in the UK with some ISP'S there's no price difference, it just depends if your line can take it ?

3. brindle

brindle

Are you in Portugal? Depends on whats available in your area of course. I had 768\3xx with Charter and now have 1.5\xxx with wave ( Paul Allen sold out to Wave) and I notice very little difference if any.Web pages load instantly and if I get a good D\L site 40meg takes no time at all. Three 600 meg disks (mandrake) took three hours with 768 and three hours with 1.5....

Like Joe2cool said some companies offer either one for the same price so go for 1.5meg...If that's not the case where you live I'd opt for 768?. almost anything is better than dial-up......
    Let us know what you finally decide, Okay?
    Brett

4. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for the replies - I'm in the UK and from what I've seen, the 1mb option is a few pounds more expensive each month. Some offer different weeky download limits as well, so it's difficult to know what's the best deal. At the moment I'm looking at BT Yahoo, Wanadoo and Pipex, so if anyone has any opinions opn any of these let me know.

Thanks

Jake

5. joe2cool

joe2cool

The best out there are 'Plusnet, Pipex & Bulldog..........I've got Plusnet, excellent service 1Mb same price starting from £14.99

Check Reviews Here.......

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

http://www.plus.net/index.html?pn_session=e9bb29f3105bccfb8cce392fa9b8228a

Wouldn't touch BT or Wannado.....people are tempted because of free modem & connection........of which you pay for in the long run any way with more expensive mth charges.....

Plusnet as a fantastic support team.....can't praise enough

& whatever you do don't go with NTL, they are the 'PITS', service, no support , everything

6. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll give those a look at come back if I reach any inclusions :)

Jake

7. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

any conclusions - sorry, I'm trying to type too fast...

8. joe2cool

joe2cool

:)............

9. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

Hi - finally got around to doing my research. These are all 1mb services...

Pipex - 1mb unlimited bandwidth £33.99
    Wanadoo - 1mb 30Gb per month: £27.99
    BT Yahoo - 1mb 30Gb per month: £29.99
    Plusnet - 1mb 'premier' (don't know exactly how much that is): £29.99 - no free modem
    Bulldog - 1mb unlimited: £30 - no free modem

It seems to me (if this is all correct) that Wanadoo come out on top because they offer a free modem, the cheapest monthly fee and, although not unlimited bandwidth, a good amount.

Is there anything I'm not taking into consideration?

Jake

10. dugq

dugq

One important factor is the length of the contract. Many ISPs lock you into a 12 month contract (normally those that give you a free modem). With prices coming down as much as they are at the moment this could end up costing you in the long run

11. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

Hi Dugq

Yeah I think BT and Wanadoo (at least) have 12 month contracts - it's difficult to weigh up. Do I spend more now in case prices come down and I want to change, or do I pay less and risk living with an expensive service? Neither's particularly enticing! :)

12. dugq

dugq

From what I understand, prices should be dropping a lot for 1meg in the next year. Also, I have heard bad things about both BT and Wanadoo. On the other hand Pipex are pretty good from what I've heard (I use cable so couldn't comment either way).

13. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Dugq - I've heard Pipex recommended as well. I might go for one of their slightly cheaper services and see how it goes from there.

14. zoombini

zoombini

I signed up to BT Broadband (Basic) the other month (19.99 a month).
    Been happy so far. It's not the cheapest deal around, and it's a capped service but my phonelines with BT, and Ive never had a problem, so figured I'd go with them. Depends on individual experiences I guess........

I looked at Wanadoo, but I had a bad time with Freeserve when on dial-up so discounted their deal, and I cant stand AOL. Both ISP's can be very obtrusive, with search bars etc on email apps and your browsers. Tiscali have a good deal but dont have experience with them..........also heard Pipex are OK

15. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

I must admit, I'm tempted by BT because of the fact I have experience with them already. Decisions, decisions...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!