1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What kind of display is this called?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by koroshb, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koroshb

koroshb Thread Starter

Hello all, I recently acquired a 1986 Chrysler LeBaron GTS in showroom quality condition. There are a few things that don't work on it, one being the trip computer buttons. I managed to fix those, but the display is missing one line (it was missing that line when I got it, unrelated with me messing with the buttons). I checked the solder points and they are all good. The display functions fine except for that one line. I don't know what kind of display this is and whether or not there is a standard replacement for it.

Also what the heck do you call this type of display? Nixie? LED? LCD?

Picture attached - the line is the 4th one from the left.

PS: I don't know if attachment worked, and I typed this on my phone.

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It appears to be a multiplexed Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD).

The failure causing part of it not lighting up could be a broken connection inside of the display panel or possibly a bad output of the electronics that is driving one of the connector pins. Car makers purchase parts in large enough volumes that they can order parts made to their custom specifications. Your best bet might be to try and finding a trip computer module for a 1986 Chrysler at a car salvage yard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice