1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What kind of RAM do I need

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wellyfish, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wellyfish

wellyfish Thread Starter

Hi,

I need to replace some RAM on an old pc - it's got an AMD64 3400 chip in it and it has an american megatrends m/b.

I'm confused by the types and sizes of ram ... I think I have DDR1 RAM but am not sure.

Anyone tell me what 'kind' of RAM i need (DDR1, SDRAM etc) and how to figure out whether it's DIMM or SIMM or something else???

TIA

2. mocks1

mocks1

Posting the manufacturer and model number would help the community figure out what type of motherboard is installed in your computer, the type of memory slots on that motherboard and the type of memory that fits that particular motherboard

Please post specs of your system in each new thread topic started and when you read this page again

This reputable memory site will scan your system and tell you what type of memory is in it and/or will fit in it:

Try this website and click the "scan my system button"

http://crucial.com/

3. mocks1

mocks1

4. wellyfish

wellyfish Thread Starter

Thanks for that ... problem is ...

the machine is almost 'dead' and won't boot up.

I was trying to install kubuntu onto it and ran the memory test which highlighted problems with the ram ...

I spose I could take out the old ram, take apicture and post it ... would that help?

cheers.

5. wellyfish

wellyfish Thread Starter

Err, think I've found the m/b handbook ... ASRock K8Upgrade-1689

and looks like it takes 184 pin DDR DIMM too ... says it supports PC3200 (DDR400) / PC2700 (DDR333) / PC2100 (DDR266)

question is, does the 400 in DDR400 (and the 333 in DDR333 etc) relate to the 'speed' of the memory or something else???

cheers.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    PC2100 is the slowest and PC3200 is the fastest.

If you install mixed speed modules, they'll all run at the speed of the lowest speed module, so try to use matching speed modules of the fastest speed that the motherboard supports.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

According to the specs site for that motherboard, it supports PC3200 (DDR400) modules, and it supports up to 2048 MB(2 GB) of RAM.

As cheap as those modules have gotten, I'd install a 1024 MB(1 GB) module in each slot.

------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice