What Kind Of Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

edgar818

I just fixed up a computer in my bedroom and i want to know what kind of a router i need to get. My current internet is 3mb dsl, and if i get a wireless router that is at 54mb or something will that be good enough or will the speed get slower. I dont know much abuot router so please help me out.

Any of the wireless Routers availabe in stores or on line will do what you want to do . The Older B versions (11 Mps) will operate at 4 to 9 Mps, which is faster than your internet connection. The G versions ( 64Mps ) will probably alow you to be further from the router and are not much more expensive than the older B versions.

You will need a wireless adaptor on the pc also . . although any brand adaptor will work with any brand router, you will likely find the best price buying both together.

See this article for guides to setting up a wireless network.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd forget about the 801.11b models, because there's no real price penalty to buy the faster 802.11g models nowadays. Make sure your router and your wireless adapter support WPA-PSK security, and you'll be all set.

Look in Device Manager . . Right CLick on My Computer .. select Manage . . then Device Manager . . expand the Network Adaptor line and see what is in there.

I agree with John by the way . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online